Why do I keep doing this to myself!? RE: GRAN TURISMO 4.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Inspector Hammer!, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I just picked this up on Friday night at a place that releases games early, days at a time in most cases, and once again I have made a royal mistake.

I have always sucked at most driving games as I can never control the car to save my life (which is why I don't have a license, it's just better for all involved that I don't). I'm a reasonably intelligent guy, but I don't seem to have the retention skills needed to learn to drive these games. With every popular driving game that's released, I somehow think that this time it will be different, i'll learn this one so help me! Nope, not the case.

It was apparent from the start that I just blew 50 bucks, this freaking game is harder than all hell! How in the world do the designers expect people to play this thing, I can't drive 10 feet without banging into a wall, and the turns, forget it, they're usually a tire-screech-fest followed by me kissing the wall, despite my best efforts to brake, it doesn't help me in the least, i'm hopeless, folks. [​IMG]

The game is undeniably beautiful to look at, big time! [​IMG] But the designers seem to think that i'm Mario Andretti or Dale Earnhart Jr. You shouldn't need to be an expert stunt driver to play a game.

Bottom line, I don't have a prayer with this one, shame too, it looks so darn good that I really would love to be able to play it.

2. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

John, have you tried Burnout 3 or any in the Need for Speed series? That may be more up your alley.

3. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

John,

One suggestion: B-Spec Mode

More details here: IGN GT4: B-Spec Mode

Obviously not the same as actually driving, but may make you feel better about spending the $50.00! [​IMG]

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    you have to pretend you are really driving a car, which you are. since GT4 is a simulation, the game has real world physics. if you get in a car in real life and you drive like you did in GT4, you'd crash just as often.

i forget who it was, but there was this pro race car driver who was the main driver of one of the actual NSX race cars in GT4, and he took it for a couple laps on a track that he drove in real life, and he said the GT4 performance was disturbingly accurate.

GT4 is not for everyone, simply because so many people are used to arcade video games, when you can jam on the throttle and go, when nothing really behaves like real life. if you can get used to the fact that you are the closest to driving the real car without actually doing so, then GT4 will become much more fun to you.

CJ

5. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I have to agree with John on this one. For some reason I just can't get the proper sensory feedback from Grand Turismo to make my driving at all realistic. I have driven high-performance cars on closed tracks and certainly understand the physics involved. In GT I wind up crawling through turns, spinning out into the grass, and bouncing off the walls. I do just fine in games like Burnout or Project Gotham Racing that don't try to be hyper-realistic. I guess given the limitations of what you can see and feel on a video game I'm better off with the more arcade style drivers.

That being said I still bought GT4 to ogle the cars and I manage to have fun in the Rally modes.

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Have you guys tried a wheel, rather than the gamepad? I find the gamepad to be overly sensitive. You don't drive a car w/ a pad/thumbstick.

I know some people are good at playing GT4 w/ a pad, but maybe for those that can't, the controller is part of the problem.

Good luck!

7. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i have the driving force pro wheel (the one designed for GT4), and it makes a world of difference.

CJ

8. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Thanks for the advice, guys, I think i'll try that wheel. [​IMG]

I fully realize that GT4 is a simulation, but I was in Arcade mode, I would think that it would make the game easier to drive?

And yes, I have played the Need for Speed and Burn Out (not the 3rd one though) games and am generally good at them. I had to ditch NfS Underground though because I got to this one race about 63% in that I just could not win, even after months of trying!

As for the Burn Out series, considering that the one thing I seem to excell at in these types of games is crashing, it fits me like a glove! [​IMG]

9. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I was considering purchasing the Driving Force Pro wheel, but I play on the couch, and don't really have a place to mount the wheel. How do the people here use the wheel?

Instead of getting a desk to mount the wheel, I am thinking about purchasing this seat to use with the Driving Force Pro if the quality is good:
    PlaySeat at Outpost
    [​IMG]

10. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Have you tried any of the licence tests? They are designed to teach you how to drive.

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just take after me, when you get tired of the game download the 100% save and load it onto your memory card. [​IMG] 65 lap endurance races can suck it.

12. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Would the pedals work better if they were slanted on the Playseat like that?

I'm using a table right now that's about 28 inches high. It's taking up a lot of room, so I plan on building my own table.

~T

13. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i'm using a rickety fold-up breakfast table for mounting my wheel now, but i'll be building a cockpit specifically for this game, i'll be incorporating the logitech dfp wheel and a small hdtv into it. the hdtv can wait, but i'll likely build the rest of it during spring break. the ps2 will be permanently in it, since this game is the only reason i still have the ps2. i'll be sure to post pics.

CJ

14. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Christ,
    wow, you must really be into this game to do all that!

Mike,
    I know about the license area, however they didn't help me one iota on GT3, so I expect they won't help me here either. Retention is my problem, I just can't seem to retain the knowledge it takes to be competative at this game. Just when I think I know what i'm doing, I actually start to race and completely spaz out.

They need to release a kiddie version of this game for guy's like me, but with the same graphics. [​IMG]

15. Joseph Cooper

Burnout 3 is a class game - love it

16. Joseph Cooper

What do people think about need for speed - Ihave been thinking of getting it but am not sure.

17. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    how did you guess? [​IMG] i had planned on making a MAME cabinet anyway, but since i play GT4 all the time, i figure i could do the cockpit cabinet first.

CJ

18. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    If youre a car tuner / enthusiast, the Gran Turismo series is the only game that comes close to simulating the real thing. Like any game, GT4 is not glitch free, but it is awfully close. This series just gets better and better. I just set a lap time of 6mn 35sec at the Nordschlieffe!

19. Steve Deacon

Steve Deacon Stunt Coordinator

Just a thought, but are you playing it using the external or one of the two internal views?

A lot of people like to race using the external view because they get to look at their nice shiny car, but in my experience it's almost worthless trying to play that way, as you tend to overcorrect all the time.