Why do I hear my Sub with the Tarzan dvd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luis M, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

I have had the Disney's Tarzan dvd for a long time, but while wacthing it again yesterday a thought crossed my mind. If the Tarzan dvd is a 5.0 mix, Why do I hear my sub working? I have my sub connected to the sub output, which I believe is the only way to go here. Is this normal? I am suppose to hear my sub with no discrete (.1) channel information?

2. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston Stunt Coordinator

If you have any speakers set to "small", the lows from those channels will be directed to the sub.
    Do a search for "bass management" for more info.
    Michael
    ------------------

3. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

You'll still hear sound from your sub if you have any of your speakers set to 'small' in your receiver. When you do that, your receiver takes the low end sound 'away' from that speaker and redirects it to the sub.
    So, yes, you can have sound coming from your sub with 5.0 (or 2.0, etc.) material.
    Rob
    ------------------
    My Equipment

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've always heard the sub on that disc. Going to guess here, but even "5.0" (which I can't say I've ever heard of) still uses the sub, just like DD 2.0 did.
    [edit]I just looked at my Tarzan:SE disc, and it only says Dolby Digital, does not specify a format. I think the sound on that disc is quite good. I don't know about you, but I have no problem with the bass [​IMG]
    [edit2] I put the disc in, and it does show up with no sub displayed on my receiver's panel. The sub is still working fine however...
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on November 14, 2001 at 04:01 PM]

5. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

Michael and Rob are right assuming you've got your main speakers set to "small": any signal below your receiver's crossover point (often 80hz or 100hz) will be directed to your subwoofer; that's bass management.
    John: I think you're confusing the LFE as displayed on your receiver with the subwoofer. The LFE (.1 channel) will always go to the subwoofer, regardless of "large" or "small" setting for fronts (or rears). Absence of a LFE (.1 channel) and speakers set to "small" will still result in sound from the subwoofer, due to the crossover.