What's new

Why do I have to LOG IN several times per session? (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
It used to be that every time I came to HTF, I'd log on once and it would be good for the entire browser session.

Now I'm finding my log in is "timing out." It is getting worse.

Sometimes I reply to a post, log in, and by the time I finish typing my reply, it is telling me that I'm not logged in.

Today, I went to the Who's Online page, logged in, and by the time the page automatically refreshed, it was telling me I was logged out.

I went to my user preferences and made sure it was properly set for login once per browser session. It appears to be.

What's up...is it just my computer?

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I feel you, man.

I get something similar to that. The main page will say "Welcome back, Joel Mack", but when I go to post or reply, I get the "You must log in" screen... This doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to be perplexing.

Odd.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I work with vBulletin all the time. The most likely culprit is that either you do not have "Remember Username and Password" turned on or you do not have "Browse using Cookies" turned on. These options are in your user preferences.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
As far as I can see, these are the only options:
Clicking no will send it through the links. (Selecting no may cause problems when sharing links with people behind the same proxy as you)
The first one is set to "no," as I use different computers, the second one to "yes." I've bolded for emphasis.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Rain:

You have to have the Automatically login each time turned on so that the software will know it is you the next time you log on. Having the Browse board with cookies only works for that session, or time that you are online, save your information for you.

I know you use different computers to log in with but you are going to have to have a cookie, this only records the time you were last on and your member ID (which is a number), stored on each computer you access the forum with to be able to have it log you in each time.

You I would have your settings the opposite of what you have now. In other words say "Yes" to the Automatically log in and "No" to Browse the board with cookie.

Parker

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Parker,

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying (or I don't understand what you are saying).

I have no problem loggin on when I first open my browser and come to HTF. That's not the problem.

The problem is that AFTER I log on, I'm frequently prompted to logon again when I have never even left HTF.

The example I gave was that if I come to HTF and hit reply to a certain thread, I'm prompted to login. Fine and dandy. I do it and begin composing my reply. However, by the time I've finished typing the reply and I hit "submit," it takes me back to the login screen again. The login seems to be timing out.

I WANT to have to login once per session, due to the varying computers. However, I don't want to have to login every single time I reply to a post!

So am I just dizzy or what?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I think I have found my own solution....maybe.

For my last couple of sessions, instead of waiting to be prompted to log in, I just log in right away on the main page. I haven't had the same problem thus far employing this method.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks