Why do I have little boxes underneath my desktop icons?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeH1, Mar 17, 2003.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Heres a pic.

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/kitlop...with+boxes.jpg

I changed my wallpaper and when I did the little white boxes come up underneath the icons. Actually, I can even change the color of them but I don't want them. I have tried everything including trying the Windows XP help/tutorial but it didn't do much good.

Please help me elimate these grotesqe boxes once and for all. The writing for the icon of course is fine, I just don't like the boxes.

2. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I didn't think you could do a think about that. My icons have always had the text box there. I've just had to make the color as close as possible to the desktop color.

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Try changing your wallpaper from JPG/GIF to a BMP format, and turn off active desktop. Otherwise, your best bet is to set the background color to something as close to the background of the image as you can get.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm using one of the generic XP wallpapers (the one with ocean and a few palm trees on a sand dune "Azul"), and I don't get the funky white text boxes. But I am using the Classic Start menu look, not the goofy Fisher-Price XP look on my desktop.

6. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Another way to solve the problem is to go into the desktop properties, custimize desktop, the "web" tab, then make sure the "lock desktop items" is not checked.

7. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

OK thanks all for your help. I read the link that Chad gave and now realize it might be a windows problem. So I found the screenshot in my documents and was going to convert it to a BMP and saw in all the options when I right clicked the screenshot "use as desktop". I clicked that and it refrshed the same picture. However, the little boxes are now gone !!

So instead of going into the properties/desktop tab and browsing for desktop pics, just go to the pic and set as desktop. It seems to work. [​IMG]

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

[​IMG] MOVE!

Make sure that active desktop crap is diabled and go to Control panel > System properties > Advanced tab > Performance Settings > Visual Effects.

Make sure the 2nd to last option "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is checked.

*crosses fingers and hopes I'm right* [​IMG]