What's new

Why do I constantly have to adjust volume? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Cees, the test tones are attenuated down from reference level by 20 or 30 dB, so they are not too loud during calibration. Using a 105dB tone and calibrating it to 105dB would be too loud and surely tax your system if it were continuous. But a tone that plays at 85 dB with the system at reference is about the level of a loud room and is easily handled by the most sensitive ears and lowest powered systems. By calibrating to this tone, you can assume a (theoretical) 105dB tone would play at 105dB reference at the same master volume setting. It doesn't mean you have to play it there, but at least you now have a "reference" point. And with that reference point, you can now compare listening levels with others and all be on the same page. Certainly an off the cuff review of a sub or speaker is made more informative by saying "it began to fade at -10 from reference and I heard little pops" rather than saying "as it went louder, it lost a few dB's and popped"?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jeff,

OK. I understand what you mean. And -15dB below "reference" volume isn't too terrible either.
I also understand that you may be comparing with other enthusiasts. But for pure home calibration, it's not strictly necessary, which is the situation of the OP.

Cees

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Guys,
Thanks for the AVIA idea :). However I am unable to use these discs - for audio anyway. I cannot set my speaker volume if the DVD is playing. It is software built into the DVD player/receiver. I can however get the system to play tones and choose which speaker I want. So I did that, calibrated to 65. I tried using the SPL meter on 70 and 80, but the needle wasn't moving, and it was already loud in the room.
I did use the AVIA to setup my Dell 4200C plasma TV. Following their instructions, my TV seemed to be just fine. Nothing was too high or too low from the default seteup when I received it.

When I was setting up the audio and video, the DVD tells me to do it every few months or so. Why is that?

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Yes,
Everything seems to be working the way I'd like it to now.

Thanks to you all for the help, I do appreciate it :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's more theoretical than practical. :)

In theory, settings shift: slight changes in aging components, temperature change over the year, the earth magnetic field ... But in the down-to-earth practice of day-to-day reality, differences between different discs are often bigger.

Just do it again whenever you feel like it - or if you hear (or see) something that really seems wrong (or you're just in doubt), or when you add new equipment. In any case: don't throw away that disc. ;)

Cees

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Congrats on the calibration, it really is not as hard as it sounds and IMHO it is the single most dramatic thing you can do for a HT.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
No, I thought it would be much more difficult, but it wasn't at all. Just turn on the SPL meter, play the tone for each speaker, and set them to the same volume. Then make your adjustments based on your ear.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks