why do i always get buyers remorse?!! even after researching!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Matthews, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Mike Matthews

Mike Matthews Stunt Coordinator

so i've been researching forever, and i just got a Denon AVR-2802 from an authorized ebay retailer. then i look in the same Crutchfield catalog i've been browsing through forever and all of a sudden, the Onkyo TX-SR701 jumps out at me. it's more expensive than the Denon, but it has some additional features like THX, more power, more listening modes, a front a/v panel, etc. and now i'm doubting myself!

will the Denon AVR-1802 provide enough power to run my Paradigm set up without any problems?

Monitor 11s
    Mini Monitors
    CC-370
    SVS 20-39 PCi

i want to make sure i don't do any damage to the speakers, as i'm very new to this home theater world

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I don't think you'll do any damage and it's a real difficult question to answer as to whether the power differential between the two units is sufficient to cause a perceived difference. The problem with specs on these multichannel receivers (amps too) is that rarely if ever do you see a review that attempts to tax the receivers and includes what I call in-situ measurements. With regards to power, there's an awful lot of borrowing from Peter to pay Paul that goes on. Push the center channel and 'maybe' the available power to the L+R is greatly reduced.

I wouldn't get too hung up in the additional modes as quite frankly most of us try them once or twice and move on. The THX certification as you know is highly debated as to its value. As to whether the front A/V features are something you really need that's only a question you can answer. If you're really that unsure, return the unit, eat the s/h, and get what you really want.

This buyer's remorse happens all the time. Maybe you needed to research the matter more carefully. Maybe you didn't budget correctly. Maybe you need to also try other forums where you'll find users that are fans of different units. Maybe you're buying into the importance of features that aren't that important. You know, like when you see these computers on TV advertised with $5,500 worth of software tossed in. Me, I call it shovelware, because they're shoveling stuff no one would ever buy if they were looking. There's a reason why there's a 50% divorce rate...buyer's remorse you know [​IMG]

3. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Mike....don't worry, the Denon will be fine...really , in that price range you prolly made a very decent choice.[​IMG]

4. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Mike, your Denon will drive the Paradigms just fine.
    They are pretty efficient, 94, so it'll do fine.
    If you think you'll want the features of the Onkyo, then get it!!!
    But you need to stop kickin' yourself about everything. You are building a nice competent system. Everybody gets buyers remorse. Hell I had it and I bought an Anthem, and that was after 3 years of looking. I have a $3000.00 pre-amp and a $1700.00 amp and 650.00 spks. now that's dumb!
    Add an amp down the road and then get a pre-amp or something.
    Just relax and enjoy it. People all over aren't sitting there going, "Hey did you hear? Matt only got the Denon, He didn't get the Paradigm studio series". "He could have gotten 30 more watts."
    Just set it up properly, turn off all the lights, pop in a good cd and you'll be fine.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Essentially (and again), what Chu said. The 2802 is a fine unit, and it will provide more than enough power reserves for those speakers.

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Be happy Mike, the 2802 will fit perfectly in with that system.

BTW - THX is a certification, not a sound mode. Your Denon would be THX certified too if they cared to pay Lucasarts a hefty sum for the certification. Denons a nice, crank it up already and enjoy!

7. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

8. Mike Matthews

Mike Matthews Stunt Coordinator

yeah, you guys are right. the only thing that i really liked about the Onkyo were the added listening modes and the front a/v panel, because i can see that being pretty conveniant for quick hook ups (digital cameras, video cameras, etc)...but Denon is really good, and i should be psyched. as long as it can power my system efficiantly, i'm happy

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You didn't buy junk Mike and this thing with the front access to AV inputs for digital cameras and the like just might more realistically be handled by a computer. Think of how many people 'upgrade' their equipment every time a new model comes out. Wow, it's got 15 more watts, 5 more simulations, a different look, etc. Now I know some call it an upgrade. Me I call it very effective churning by the audio press and even by ourselves. We wind up buying stuff we don't need, won't use, and we haven't even exploited the capabilities of what we own. Instead we wind up paying more lip service to trying to listen for subtle differences between receivers instead of sitting down with beer, pizza, friends, alone and simply enjoying what we own. It's a difficult task manufacturers and the like have with on the one hand making you feel happy and secure in your purchase and then making you think they've just come out with something that's going to blow you away. Yeah, you're being blown alright.

10. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

You don't say how large a room you have to fill, but my Denon is solid, and I NEVER run it in any of the listening modes it offers up, with exception of maybe Neo 6 or Matrix.
    You'll likely sample each of them once or twice and never go back again.
    I can't say whether your ears would prefer the sound of one over the other, but if you spend some serious time on setting up what you have it will cease to remain an issue. Setup is everything. I could move my fronts back a couple of feet, out one or two, alter the toe-in, and you'd think you were auditioning an entirely different system.

11. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Mike,

We all get it once in a while, its inevitable. Be happy with what you got. Denon makes excellent equipment at a reasonable price.

Kevin

12. WarrenHH

WarrenHH Agent

Well said Chu, right on!!

13. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I agree with Kevin, be happy and put that energy into something productive. I speak from experience. I could never be satisfied always a comprimise of some sort because I could not afford or I wouldnt spend the money for what I really wanted or thought I wanted. After many years of constant complaining I found I actually spent more than a high end system cost. . So I let it all hang out and plunked down about 15K and guess what. . .After I figured out how to use this stuff guess wghat I was complaining about. . .? The same crap. . . So I sold it all bought a good middle of the road receiver a Pioneer ELITE VSX45TX and now I think I am actually happier than before. . .I picked uop a good hobby to keep me occupied and to give me something else to think about.

14. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Sounds like you did a good thing to me,enjoy.

15. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

I always find, that no matter what thread I am on, I usually skim thru other posts. But anytime I see Chu's posts... I read... then I reread.

Chu, you are a good source of knowledge and such a key ingredient to this forum. Thanx for your posts. [​IMG] I learn alot from you, methinks.

16. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Sometimes the thrill is in the chase... At least you got a great unit!

17. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Adam,

Chu has always had a way of making us look at things a little different.

Take a look at this thread: Classic Chu Gai

Reading and rereading will only twist your mind. I nearly woke up the wife laughing how wild this post got!

I glad he didn't tell Mike that the Denon would out perform the Onkyo as long as he kept it on the floor to keep electrons from flowing out.[​IMG]

Keep up the support Chu!

Dennis