Why Do DVDs Rarely Include and Television Footage?

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I love the TV scene where Lloyd Bridges and Robert Stack are by the water cooler trying to figure the best proceedure for landing the plane. They take fill little cups of water, down it like a shot, then throw the cup down. I keeps going on for like a full minute, and for some reason, I always get a kick out of it when I happen to catch it.

But the question is, why do they hardly even include such footage as deleted scenes on the DVD?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I don't know. Certainly these extra scenes for Airplane sound funny, especially the Hi Jack joke. They would defiunitely make a worthy addition to the DVD.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Matt, the Sci-Fi Channel airs the longer tv cut of Waterworld on Tuesday night at 7 pm ET/PT.

I would love to see the longer TV cut of Waterworld released to DVD (it's a much better movie that what made it to theaters and what is available on DVD). Although, I hope the uncensored version of the TV cut makes it to DVD (where the swear words are left intact). Encore has aired two versions of the TV cut- the one you see on ABC, USA, or Sci-Fi and the other version where the swear words aren't dubbed over.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Universal's first two Child's Play films when broadcast on USA Networks here in the states has extra or different footage than their theatrical counterparts. Also the original Gremlins has a scene in the TV version that NBC showed; it is however included on the special edition DVD.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The scene in Airplane where the boy and girl have the conversation with the punchline that she likes her coffee hot and black like her men has a completely alternate version for TV broadcasts where the boy mentions that he's attending a conference for small businessmen. It isn't as outrageous, but it is also pretty funny. In some ways, the TV scene is more in keeping with the film's design in that it sounds like dialog lifted directly from one of the airplane disaster films, but it becomes funny because they give the dialog to two kids.

Regards,

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chsblr