Why do DVDs have Subtitles that you Can't change on the Fly?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by WillG, Sep 16, 2003.

1. WillG

WillG Producer

I was watching the "24" S2 set the other day and there were a couple of instances of fast dialouge that I couldn't quite catch. I went to turn on the Subtitles but could not access them on the fly. I hate it when studios do this! Why do they do this? I know that some DVDs, such as 24, have subtitle tracks that are used for things such as flagging branching footage and stuff like that. I suppose the studio does not want people to access these tracks by accident. But, why can't they just leave the Language tracks open and isolate the more specialized tracks so they can only be accessed from the menu. I know some DVDs do this.

2. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Thhis happens because the subtitle tracks are often being used for something other than subtitles and it could cause problem when people try to turn the subs off from the menu. This includes subtitling foreign dialogue and the 24 logo used for the extended scenes and alternate takes.

3. WillG

WillG Producer

Yeah, but I'm sure I have seen DVDs where the language tracks were accessable on the fly but the other tracks for other purposes were isolated and only accessable from the menu. Why couldn't "24" have done it that way?