What's new

Why do DVDAs hate me? (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have never had so much trouble playing a Disc and I am not sure why.
At first I bought a audio card with DVDA capabilities and I know it works since I have a Pogues Disc that sounds great.
The problem is I have 3 other discs that play but no sound.
They happen to be:
Metallica Black Album
REM Greatest Hits
F Mac -Rumors
They Look fine physically and the video/menu stuff comes up so it's not like they are frisbees.

Now 1 disc not playing might be a bad disc but 3 is pretty strange.

So I pick up a Oppo 980 and screw the audio card I give up.
I buy the Beatles Love and yes it plays!

Then I try the others and nuthin .... put Love back in - and silence is not golden - it sucks! Cant get the DVDA but the DTS & DD works.
Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
Thanks
Grant

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
What sound card do you have? To my knowledge, all of the cards that are capable of decoding DVD-A don't actually do it through hardware, but rather software. So with that in mind it is very possible that the software has issues with the mastering/authoring techniques used on certain discs.

I've even seen dedicated players have trouble playing the 24/192 track on DVD-A discs from certain labels.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Oppo 980? Perhaps you mean the 970. There's a 981 in the works, but I don't think it's been released yet.

You have to set the DVD player to read the DVD-Audio layer, rather than the DVD-Video layer.

On the 970, this is set in the "General Setup" menu, using the "DVD-Audio Mode" options.

In my (limited) experience, the Dolby Digital and dts options are not available when the player is using the "DVD-Audio" mode-- only the "Advanced Resolution" soundtracks.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
You're right,the 970.
I got the DVDA to play when I hit the Audio Only on the Remote. It even played the REM Disc that I could never get to Work via the Creative Audiology card.
OK maybe they just dislike me
Thanks for the replies!
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks