Why do dogs like licking feet?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Clinton McClure, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I don't mean their own, but human feet. As I type this, my year-old pomeranian is tearing up some major toe jam between the big toe and first toe on my left foot. Is their sence of smell so strong that it makes them unable to taste anything? Do my feet taste like a burrito to her? Then when she licks her ass is she trying to get the taste out of her mouth or is it like an after dinner mint? So many questions. And while I'm on the subject, she loves my socks. Not my clean, warm, fresh out of the dryer socks. No. She loves my sweat-filled, sour, worn all day in a 90-degree warehouse socks. I can take them off at night and she'll chew on them for hours if I let her.

Now that's unconditional love. [​IMG]

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Clinton,
    I often wondered the same thing because my dogs have the same issues.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Dogs eat poo, so I'd imagine stinky feet are nothing.

4. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Really, some dogs will eat anything.

One of my dogs is a chronic poop-eater, even her own. Cat poop or vomit is a doogy treat.

One other vet told me of her dog who, upon hearing the gagging sounds of a cat getting ready to hack up a tasty morsel, would run to the sound. Once the cat was on a table, so all the dog had to do was open her mouth and catch it in midair.

5. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

My fiancee's cat must be a reincarnated dog, because she will lick my hands until I stop her.

Worse, sometimes if it's cold enough that I am completely covered by my blankets in bed except for my face, she will lick my forehead with that sandpaper tongue while she kneads my face with her claw. Strange animal.

6. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

In addition to all the things they like to lick, dogs like to roll around in roadkill when possible.
    My question is, "Why do people kiss dogs?"

7. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I remember watching a friend of mine spit on the ground and then put his cigarette out in it. Less than a minute later another friends dog walked up and licked up the spit and ash.

Gross!

8. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

My mom told me of a time when my dad had an in-grown toenail that was infected. Our dog would spend days licking and chewing on that toenail and pus until it was completely healed. Some dogs just have a knack of being a nurse.

- Colton

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

A vet once told me that sometimes it is the salt on your skin that they go for....are feet any saltier than the rest of your body?

10. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

The simply answer, they are sizing you up for a meal.

One or two missed meals and watch out because you are nothing more then walking pork chop to them.

11. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

My dog likes licking my hands but not my feet.

~T

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Dogs LOVE the salt that our body produces (in our sweat). My brothers dog will lick every inch of your arms and legs in the summer, when you're sweating.

They probably lick your feet because your feet will often sweat even when the rest of your body is cold and dry.

13. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My dog won't lick my feet, but will lick any scratch or cut on my hand until I stop her. My cat, on the other hand, will rush into the bathroom to lick my wet feet right after I get out of the shower. My ex's dog IS a big foot-licker though. That one will not eat food out of her dish. Instead she grabs a big mouthful of kibble, walks into the living room, drops the kibble onto the floor, then proceeds to eat every crumb off the rug.

14. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I've heard a high density of our sweat glands are located on our feet so this may explain why dogs like licking them, some of salts our body expel might be lacking in their normal diet. I've heard similar theories on why dogs will eat poo for this reason as well. The only theory I've ever heard of why dogs eat vomit is due to being pack animals they will eat the vomit of another pack member to keep other predators from smelling the weakness (sickness) of another pack animal. These are all theories I've heard yet I've never have looked up to see if there is any supporting documentation to back it.

15. Kevin_Spradley

Kevin_Spradley Stunt Coordinator

The maltese (Chloe) I used to have would chew up used underwear. She never would chew up clean underwear, just worn underwear and just in the critical area where when you put them on you have a draft on your butt. Then 30 minutes later she would vomit the cotton mess up. Yes, she would her own vomit and also the lhasa apso and they would eat their own vomit. Chloe wouldn't only chew my underwear, but also my ex-girlfriend's panties but never bras. Just something about our scents in those particular areas drew the dogs to them. Dogs are funny about things, they know more than we think they do. Several of my friends have had babies within the last few months, and the lap dogs that each one had would never walk on the stomach while pregnant and once the baby arrived, the dog somehow knew how to act. The maltese (chloe) loves to kiss you like crazy and will never stop until you throw her off, but when my fraternity pledge brother had his kid (brought him over at 3 months old), chloe gently walked up to the baby on the floor and licked him on the cheek and that was it. That was weird because of how crazy the dog usually goes when someone new comes around and she was not trained as well as I wanted her to be. I inherited her when I started dating the ex. That damn dog (gosh I miss her) would lick any exposed skin (get your mind out of the sewer). I just realized I have been rambling quite a bit, but it is definitely the salt the dogs are after. Maybe I will start a new thread just for rambling about ex's and what we miss about the relationship.

16. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

mmmmm "salty". Thats what i think everytime an animal tries to lick me. I also noticed that animals do groom each other too. They may just consider you one of the pack[​IMG]

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

mine aren't really into feet, but they're ALL OVER ME when I get out of the shower. As soon as they hear the CLUNK o the shower turning off they're sitting outside waiting patiently for me to emerge.