What's new

Why do different DVD Players have a different size format for Widescreen? (1 Viewer)

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
I just won a free Norcent DP201 DVD player, never heard of Norcent before that. Anyway, I have been using my Xbox as my DVD player. When the Xbox plays widescreen DVDs on my 32" Trinitron, the picture is about 15.25"x26". When this new Norcent plays widescreen, the picture is 11.25"x26". Why do I loose 4"? I check the picture itself, and the image does not appear to be cropped. Am I missing something here? Thanks, Lowell

The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V430 if that matters.

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Just to make sure -- did you take those measurements with the same dvd? All widescreen dvds are not supposed to be in the same size on your tv screen since they are filmed at different several aspect ratios. The numbers you posted are pretty close to 1.85:1 and 2.35:1, which are two of the more common aspect ratios.

If you took them with the same dvd, I have no idea what the problem is.

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I took them with the same DVD. Other than one picture seeming wider, I don't really see a difference. However, I do feel like I need to set closer to the TV.

The play says it does 500 lines of H resolution.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like one player (the xbox) is improperly set for 16:9 output (this is in the setup menu).

What shape is your TV: standard 4:3 or a widescreen 16:9?

It sounds like one of the players is set for a 16:9 output, which when sent to a 4:3 TV would stretch the image vertically, causing a skewed output visually and would explain the difference in size on DVDs.

What DVD are you specifically using? Do you have a large collection? I possible, post some titles you have- I could suggest an experiment which might get to the bottom of this.

-V

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I agree with the post above. Some of the "cheaper"(XBOX) DVD players incorrectly display a 2.35:1 image and instead display it as 1.85:1 This difference can be easily missed if you are use to it being that way. Chances are the XBOX was displaying the movies to the wrong proportions. If you have the SW:E1 DVD there are video test that display boxes and you can use this to check if your image is to the right proportion if it is not, it will show a rectangle. Hope that helps.

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help. The 2 DVDs I tried were The Matrix and Disney's Atlantis.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
No cheap players display things in the wrong aspect ratio that I've ever heard of. It's just a setting in the player. If the XBOX is taller, then you need to set it's output to 4:3 letterbox, instead of 16:9

The above ratios you listed are ~1.85:1 and ~2.35:1.

The Matrix should be a ratio of ~2.35:1. As it's displayed by your Xbox, now, you should notice everyone being really tall and skinny (~33% taller and skinnier, in fact.)

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I have scene a RCA DVD player that would not display it in the right format unless you went and told it to change its format. This is contrary to most DVD players that automatically do this

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks