What's new

Why do car stereos look so goofy? (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking for a budget car stereo headunit that plays MP3s and has an aux input that I can use for my MiniDisc portable. It seems they all have this kind of goofy futuristic sci-fi look to them that will clash painfully with the interior of any car. Isn't there anything simple and elegant out there?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
it's like the cheaper they are, the worse they look.
The nakamichi always looked nice, and the alpines are OK but they're so damn expensive

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Phil,

Have you checked out some of the models by JVC? Specifically, the KD-AR3000.

Crutchfield has it listed on their site.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Actually, a pretty nice Alpine that can play MP3s can be had for approx. $349.00. Then, the price goes up from there.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Around here, a decent Alpine with MP3, WMA and another bell and whistle or two starts at $179. Things are a bit cheaper in the south....perhaps that's why jobs don't pay worth a crap here.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I really couldn't give a damn how they look as long as they sound good.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
hehe that Pana Nick posted is tasty but a centerpiece for disaster if a teef sees it.

Rockford makes some sleek looking units, older models even had shiny wood grain that was a very nice touch.

Just found this while doing a search.

Also seconding Nakamichi and Eclipse. Take a look a Blaupunkt and Clarion, not known for their sound quality but have a different style of design.

edit- forgot to mention the McIntosh setup:

Very slick and classy. Review. Only problem is thre are no FF/RW functions :laugh:

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
Rockford look good but feel cheaply made, Nakamichi aren't as good as they used to, they haven't updated in forever. Eclipse and Pioneer are you best bet. JVC is good if you get the Arsenal series since it comes with 24bit convertors but they aren't sonically as good as Pioneer or Eclipse. Pioneer HU's that play MP3s run 250$, ebay 200$. Eclipse runs 300$ or more. Eclipse is better sounding but costs more. If you're in a budget take the Pioneer.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I hate the look of most non stock audio equipment...

I'm looking to upgrade all my stuff in my 350z, but I dont want it to look like a spaceship.

Sony has a nice looking head unit that plays MP3's and you can change the face color (I'm picky about having my dash colors match). It runs about 200 bucks.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-InqkQ3c...=N&search=sony

Its fairly simple in design....At least as far as some of these things go these days.

I always thought that Alpine units were conservative looking. What do you think about them? They're definitely high in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks