What's new

Why didn't Elvis ever tour the world? (1 Viewer)

edzeppelin77

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed White
with all due respect,your dad was wrong.I hated Elvis,cos of the movies and the crappy movie songs my mother and younger brother WORE OUT in those days-and when he came here in 73,she had bought tickets,and my dad backed out at the last minute-
so I got to go.
and man,his band was fucking awesome-the songs were great-he did a great show-I was won over.3 hours? ...something like that.
when he came back in 77 I bought my own ticket-and he canceled in April,and I saw him in May ? he was fat and bloated and sweaty,but he still fucking rocked and the women STILL threw their panties on stage.
and the show was just as long.
he was dead three months later.RIP King-
my second concert? the Stones in 74.
every DAY I thank God that I was alive in the period where rock and roll reached perfection.
I didnt see a lot of 'em,but the ones I did were awesome-

edzeppelin77

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed White
no Kentucky Rain,suspicious minds,my favoritesand there were more-American Trilogy is one...but I like the 50's rockers he did, heartbreak Hotel,hound dog-those were undeniably great-

edzeppelin77

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed White
I've learned a lot here-one is that col.Tom was a jit-bag,as are most managers-and two,some people are hilarious,and they havent a clue-like that guy who saw Elvis in 2oo2....everio3...thats funny

Real Name
Darron Sanders
There's several stories as to why Elvis never performed outside the U.S., but the one thought is some said the stadiums of other countries, at the time, could not accommodate the crowd that would be brought in, they weren't big enough. It was also mentioned that at the time (correct me if I'm wrong), a lot of the stadiums and places where Elvis would perform - where outdoors, so if you got rain or cold or something like that, Elvis wouldn't be able to perform. Unfortunately, Performing outside the U.S was hard too risky.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Damn the newbies just keep dragging this thread up -- 2004 to 2009 to 2012. The search bot on this site has got to get fixed.
Anyway -- I got to see Elvis around 73 or 74 and it was an awesome show. Elvis has gotten into shape physically, but was starting to deteriorate psychologically at that point due in large part to the divorce from Priscella.
At least 2 1/2 hours (no encores since E don't do that) in a sold out Basketball Coliseum in the South that was as loud as I've ever heard it (went to college there a bit later so saw a
lot of events there including Charlie Daniels at their peak). 17K and using the American Trilogy as your exit in the Deep South was almost a religious experience even for a cynical teenager.
My mother was a teenager in the 50's (actually she was born in same year) and an absolutely huge Elvis fan so I got to listen to a lot of Elvis growing up so when he was touring
nearby I got dragged to the show and damn glad my mom wasn't about to leave me at home. One of the many times she knew it was for my own good. Last time through Memphis
I got to tour Graceland and must admit it was too cool for words and since it in mid August the memorial was fully decorated -- more than a bit surreal to honest.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Brian+H said:
Both of Peter Guralnick's books 'Last Train' and 'Careless Love' are really all you need.
I met Peter Guralnick back in the mid 1980s. He is a good friend of my best friend. I think Guralnick is a very engaging writer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks