What's new

Why did the Onkyo 696 do so junk in S&V's test? (1 Viewer)

David Head

Second Unit
Kyle,

The click is audible when the movie first starts (actually before the movie when the studio graphic, dolby trailer, etc. start up), but not real loud. I don't find it annoying at all because it does NOT occur during the movie for me (not even during layer changes).

David

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the Integra line has these same problems? Does the 6.2 have this clicking? Also, does the Onkyo 797 have this problem?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
AFAIK the correct way of measuring the amp's power is to take continuous power from all channels simultaneously and observe how much power can be delivered with no more than the claimed amount of distortion at all frequencies in the stated range. Bandwidth means the frequency range where the weakest frequency contained within is at least half the power of the reference frequency (within 3 dB). For example if the bandwidth is 20 to 20000 Hz, a 100 watt amplifier needs to deliver at least 50 watts everywhere in that range and 100 watts at some frequencies, usually it is the at the low and high ends that the frequency response drops off. More recently the better manufacturers specify frequency response within a tighter tolerance such as within 1 dB,instead of bandwidth.
Long ago manufacturers had funny ways of stating power, for example peak power or music power. I recall from many years ago one Consumer Reports article about a console stereo (or was it a home entertainment center with TV?) advertised as having 200 watts of audio output and which they measured as having just two watts from each of its two channels.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Michael_T

Second Unit
I posted this in another thread - but it also belongs here so here it is:

The clicking noise is most likely a relay in the receiver that is set when the autosensing mechanism senses a new digital signal - like switching between DD, DTS, DPL2 or stereo.

Also whenever I put my receiver into DIRECT mode I hear the click of the relay - since it is shutting off all DSP processing. (I have the Integra 6.2 - which is very similiar to the 696).

This click shouldn't be a concern at all. And, in fact, I remember reading somewhere on another board that a circuit or relay of this type that makes that clicking noise indicates,usually, that the circuit within the receiver or player is generally high quality.

This clicking noise does not emanate from the speakers at all, just from the receiver unit. And as I stated it is the receiver changing modes (i.e., DD, DTS, DPL2, etc.)

To add, the receiver should not click on layer changes, as it will leave the autosensing mechanism on the last type of signal input so that when the layer changes it shouldn't set off this relay in the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks