Why did the baking soda in my fridge explode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Swartz, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

It seems that the A&H Baking Soda that I've kept in my fridge for a few months has been slowly overflowing over the last few days. By overflowing, I mean the "white stuff" has been coming out of both sides of the box (the way it works is that you tear a hole in both sides so that air can pass through it) and falling onto the shelves below it. Did I do something wrong? Is the fridge too cold? Is the "white stuff" toxic? Will Batman make it? J/k. =) Thanks guys.

2. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I'm 99% sure it's because moisture causes sodium bicarbonite (baking soda) to expand.

3. Daniel Swartz

Is there a way I can prevent this though? Thanks.

4. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

If you had anything acidic on a shelf above the baking soda that could have dripped on it (i.e., orange juice, lemon juice, salad dressing, etc), this would cause the baking soda to expand at a very fast rate (think second grade volcano experiments). Don't worry, baking soda is harmless should it get on any food.

5. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

I've never heard of punching holes in both sides of the box. You'd be better off just to fill a cup with baking soda and sit it in the back of the fridge (open).

I had the same thought as Tom ... perhaps some soda dripped into the BS box. Coke is loaded w/ phosphoric acid.

Scott

6. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

A&H now has baking soda boxes that are specifically designed to be used as "smell reduces". The fronts and backs of the boxes rip off leaving behind a sort of mesh. This way the box is never opened so they can't spill but the mesh gives it much better air flow.

7. Daniel Swartz

Jesse described it correctly. And it was on the top shelf so nothing could have dripped on it -- except maybe condensed water on the sides of the fridge. Ah well... I'm off to buy another one. Thanks guys.

8. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

I was at a friends recently who had just acid washed his garage floor before sealing it with paint. He had his tools out and was wiping them down because they were all covered with rust. The acid must have been quite strong and he probably kept the garage sealed off.

I would think that the comments above about the orange juice, lemon juice would be a possibility. I would also think tomatoes, tomatoe juice, spagetti sauce, etc. would also be a possibility.