What's new

Why did Jason Newsted leave Metallica? (1 Viewer)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I've always wondered why Jason left the band. All I recall was a very short blurb in Entertainment Weekly in which he had stated that he was tired of the damage that was being done to his body and life being in a big time rock and roll band. However, as I understand it, he has been quite active in music since his departure. What gives?
I realize this has probably been discussed, but I was unable to find any information after a search.

FredK

Second Unit
Amongst 1000 other things Jason wanted to do a few side projects, which at the time the others were against (though they've all done considerable side work), and IIRC this is when it hit the fan.

Interestingly Jason was the biggest fan of metal in the group and wanted the band to do exactly what it did... put some thrash back into their studio output. The band has said where they are now is exactly the environment Jason wanted, but it took Jason leaving to get there.

Rob (their 4th bassist) is a great player, maybe better than Jason, but still I suspect we haven't heard the last of Jason & Metallica. He recently mentioned as recent as 6 months ago he was almost going to rejoin the group. Jason's jumped around a lot and now has taken Rob's spot with Ozzy on tour.

I get most of my recent info from www.intersandman.com the older stuff is from everywhere.

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking through new cd's the other day at the store and noticed that the new (REO) Speedealer album is produced by Jason. Seems like I remember Jason was hanging around Austin when I was down there a few years ago. Not exactyly what you were asking for........

Brion Lydon

Stunt Coordinator
I wish Jason would re-join Flotsam and Jetsam. "Doomsday for the Deceiver" is one of my favorite metal albums.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
In the "MTV Icon" bit about this, they said pretty much what FredK says above. Jason seemed to be fed up with the way the band was working, and he alos pointed out that he doesn't have a wife and children, music is what he lives for and he seemed to feel that the band didn't live up to his expectations of what they should be about.

Not sure why joining Ozzy would be better in this respect, but hey, maybe he just liked the gig. :)

/Mike

FredK

Second Unit
Not sure why joining Ozzy would be better in this respect, but hey, maybe he just liked the gig.
I agree, but I think he just wanted to be on something that was a headline. I think F&J signed a new bassist last year. Rumors were around, but I don't think Jason considered going back to them.

That's why I think we haven't heard the last of Jason & Met. Many people consider Jason the bassist for Metallica (even if they love MOP, it's been a long time since Cliff was lost, any new fan from the last 15 years has't seen him play live), and Metallica would *now* be a good situation for him.

IMO, Rob is a good fit and would be hard to boot out, but until a couple of tours pass Jason will be missed.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Jason was too good for Metallica, he is a very talented guy as far as songwriting is concerned and is truely passionate for his music ... as he should be.

As good as Rob is as a bass player, he is the ultimate "musician for hire". He never had a unique personality and I don't think he has the same passions as Jason. Seems like strictly a paycheck type of guy ... which is not necesarily a bad thing. Metallica at this point int heir career are not looking for "input" from an outsider. They already pretty much acheived whetever they could.

But Jason and Voivod are a perfect fit. The new record is amazing. Haven't heard Jasons bass like that since F&J.

FredK

Second Unit
They already pretty much acheived whetever they could.
:rolleyes:Which is why their latest is a money-grabbing-carbon-copy-effortless-top-40-piece-of-junk. Opinions aside, they haven't stopped trying to "achieve" anything... or we'd have a much different St Anger.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I agree with this. To me, Trujillo seems to be a much better match than Jason ever was, for the reasons mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks