Why did I buy this stuff?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn C, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had to go to Autozone today but next door is the local Goodwill. I decided to stop in to see what kind of audio gear they had.
    I ran across this old Sherwood tuner and a Vidicraft STEREO SYNTHESIZER [​IMG]
    They both work, and total cost was $16.00....SOLD!
    I decided to hook them up to my Fisher SC-300K boom box. I listen to AM radio in the afternoon and was not happy with the reception I was getting from the Fisher, but all is now good with the new Sherwood tuner.
    The synthesizer has a bunch of knobs on it that I have no idea what they do, but I like the blue face. It has three knobs for the Synthesizer marked "SEPERATION" "LO DIMENSION" and "HI DIMENSION". It also has knobs for "CORNER FILTER", "DNR THRESHOLD", and a volume knob.
    Anybody know what this stuff is supposed to do? I read the patent it had on it, and it is supposed to change a mono input to stereo.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    DNR, I'd guess would likely be Dolby Noise Reduction.

Not sure on the others.

3. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Actually, the DNR on this thing says it's by National Semiconductor. Apparently, it's DYNAMIC Noise Reduction. Ah well, anyways, I like the blue face.. [​IMG]

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Very cool! Plan on going back?

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Look likes a gadget that does what DBX units do, increase dynamic range, expand the stereo seperaion, etc. Depending on you system, if you have a VCR this might be the unit to run it though before runnning it into your receiver. Or any analog 2 channel source.

6. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like an interesting purchase, especially for $15. I like the blue color too! The Goodwill can be alot of fun at a low price. I bought a mint Pioneer SX-550 for $25, a SX-650 that had a few dings on only the fake wood sides for $35, a good pair of bookshelf speakers for $40, and a Denon CD player for $35.