Why did a Yamaha 730 sound better than a Sony 3 ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack_V, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Jack_V

Jack_V Extra

I had decided on a Sony 3ES, it's a large unit. I assumed with quality components and a very flexible bass management and EQ controls on a per channel basis. Also, may have 50Mhz component switching according to many sites, but not listed in manual or by Sony.

Anyhow, just before I purchased it I seen a Yamaha 730 for about the same price, so I asked to compare the 2 units on the same speakers, Polk Towers.

I wanted to like to 3ES having made my mind up on it, but in the end I left without it. I was disappointed to find the Yamaha sounded better than the 3ES.

If the music was simple they were similar, but when it got involved the Sony lacked. The background seemed to become blurred.

The salesman left me alone in the demo room free to change settings, speakers, anything. I did, I changed various settings, music, but everytime I felt the Sony just wasn't right.

Was it a bad speaker choice for the 3ES or just personal taste coming into play, looking at the units and specs the Sony should be better?

2. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

I don't know but i've always liked Yamaha sound over Sony. I do agree that the yamaha has more depth in music.

how much are these receivers?

3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hey Jack
    I would not assume that the Sony would be better. They have put out alot of junk lately over the past 5 years. But you would think there ES line would shine in the audio department. The regular Sony is litterly made with the cheapest parts Sony can buy. The Sony ES however uses better parts but sonically is not allways better. Yamaha is no push over and can hang with many other makes out there. I own a Yamaha RV-X995 reciever and when I traded in my McIntosh MX-130. Even though it will never touch the Mac. The performance for the money impressed me. It does very well with SACD's and red book CD's. And it does very well with DTS soundtracks and good for the lacking Dolby Digital Soundtracks as well. Sony does not know how to push there product. I say this because of one failed product after another. Mmmm lets see Betamax, mini disc, 8 mm HiFi that was ment to have premade movies sold for it. Sony has a name in the professional commercail market but they have dropped the ball with consumers. It's not that I want to hate Sony, I really try and like the company. And I don't hate Sony but I am critical of what they make. I recently purchased a Sony S9000ES DVD/SACD player and I am very happy with it so far. I am thinking of buying a ES 200 disc carousel sometime soon for when I have a party.
    IMHO the Sony receivers do not cut it even in the ES line. I feel that there are way better receivers out there in the flagship lines and in the less exspensive areas as well. There is Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Sunfire, B&K and Pioneer Elite. So I guess I am not suprised at your assesment. I have a friend that purchased the 5ES and IMHO my Yamaha kicks its but. I will really kick his but when I upgrade to ether a Sunfire, Denon 5803 or Pioneer Elite 49TXi.
    Have a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year [​IMG]

4. Jack_V

Jack_V Extra

The 3ES was discounted at $700CND and the Yamaha was the same.

The list on the Sony is much higher than the Yamaha.

Learned a lesson, specs may help to narrow down choices, but in the end be sure to listen, listen, listen. Use music and movies that you enjoy and are familar with, and at volume levels you listen at.

I'm going to wait for boxing day, the Yamaha's may be cheaper then.

Too bad about the Sony, I really liked the bass management and EQ options on a per channel basis. Maybe it was just a bad unit, but no returns were offered and I've lost confidence.