Why did 56K modems never utilize all of its potential?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Alexander, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

On my dial up service, I've never connected w/ anything past 33600bps. Is there a reason for this even though I have a 56K modem? Does fault lie w/ the antiquated systems of the ISP, government regulations, or the quality of the phone lines? The technology in 56K modems are too established not to be utilized w/ better connections. We already have DSL, cable modems, and T1 connections. It seems as if the 56K revolution was skipped altogether. What gives?

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

1: 56k is only 56k downstream (i.e. downloading) and NOT upstream.

2: 56k is very very dependant on line conditions. When I was in college, my 33.6 modem would regularly connect at 44 because the res I was in was recently wired, and we had a beautiful line directly into the phone company, and from there to the brand new ISP we were using.

3: There needs to be a compatible 56k modem on the other end.

3. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Also, there is the "Overhead" -or "protocol bandwidth" that takes up space (IP, IPX, SPX...etc) in keeping track of the data packets moving from computer to computer.

~Rob

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Also your standard phone line maxes out at 53Kbps [​IMG]

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

It must deal with the equipment used by the ISP's also. When I was with Earthlink, it only connected at 28-31 Kbps and here with Dell/MSM, I have it moving along at 48Kbps.

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Feel lucky. I only connect at 26400. The fastest I've ever received a download was around 1.8kbps, but it's usually around .9kbps.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

If you always get 33.6 and no higher, that means that your modem cannot shift to the digital modes that would get you up to 53 - with near-perfect phone lines. Few modems get there though, but I've seen 50-52 quite reliably at some locations.

The problem is almost certainly in your phone lines. The phone co can do stuff like sharing your line with another subscriber out of the building - works fine for talking but totally torpedoes your modem connects. The lines can just be plain bad, the quality can vary with if they are wet or dry... there are just a multitude of variables that enter into modem connects.

Considering that, at one point, it was considered science fiction to get a modem link up anywhere near 33.6, 33.6 isn't that bad. Of course, compared to xDSL and the like, it stinks pretty bad.

Still... IMHO, a reliable 33.6 connect with even data flow is much much better than a spotty 44k that disconnects or just "hangs" regularly, which is what some people get when they try to force the speed up higher than the lines can really handle.

8. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

When I was on dial-up my service would consistenly give me 50-51k connections using my 56K modem.

Kevin, which ISP are you using? It sounds like they may not have 56K modems at their end (which would be strange in this day of age). Back in the day some ISPs also only supported X2 or KFlex for 56K connections though this should not be an issue currently anymore. I would give them a call and see what the deal is.

If you have an older modem (3 years or older), its firmware may need to be flashed as well.

J

9. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Your 33600 could be bad wiring in your home, too. I'm connecting at either 49333 or 52000 every time. Since I'll NEVER get DSL or cable where I am, it'll have to due.

There's also the new v.92 standard which allows you to increase upload speed slightly.

-Dan B