What's new

Why Creed? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Of all the current popular rock bands, why is Creed the one that gets bashed more than any other?

I'm not a fan of them myself, but what is it about them specifically that garners so much derision?

Some say the singer sounds like Eddie Vedder. Well, so do a ton of other singers. The emotive, awkwardly announciating baritone has been one of the mainstays of rock for the past dozen years.

I've seen some of their sheet music and some of it's actually quite clever. As players they are not bad at all.

I happen to find their songs to be dull, but no more so than most of the pop rock acts. So why are they the first band to get slammed?

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Because the guitar player only knows how to play a barr chord but thinks he is Malmsteen. That's why I don't like them. I find them very derivative, but no more than any other rock act on the charts right now. I can't wait to see what the next thing is that blows pop grunge rock out of the water.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I don't like them much because they just sound like a b-grade ripoff of other, better bands (like Pearl Jam). The singer sounds rather self-important too, just like the lyrics.

But I must admit that they write pretty damn catchy songs. :)

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
People are too harsh toward Creed IMHO. I'd rather hear them on the radio than the many here-today-literally-gone-tomorrow type hip-hop or pop singers/bands.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Creed is an easy target because:

1. They are popular
2. They are derivitive.

Course, theres nothing really wrong with being derivitive if you are happy with that, and if the band is good at doing it. I've gotten more enjoyment out of Creed in recent years, than I have with Pearl Jam, IMO.

Collective Soul also seems to suffer from the same problem. I enjoy the hell out of them, but they catch a lot of flak for basically doing the same album over and over again.

Jason

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I just think a band should be around for 20 years before they are as pretentious as Creed. But my only contact with them is from their videos which I turn off pretty quickly.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
But most of bands put out the same album over and over again. The likes of the Beatles and King Crimson is the exception.

And I'm not sure what makes them more pretentious than other bands. I'm not familiar with the lyrics, but they seem to be doing the self-involved ego stuff that all bands are doing these days.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I didn't pay attention to the lyrics. The only video hat comes to mind is the one where they are up to their asses in water and for some reason it just turned me off. Maybe they are the greatest band ever, but I'm just not interested.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
But I must admit that they write pretty damn catchy songs.
I think thats a major part of the problem. Same problem with Nickelback, its like they are always trying to write a hit song and as a result all their music comes off as completely unoriginal, boring and repetitive. They both have some catchy guitar riffs and chorus' but their music never goes beyond that.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Scott Stapp, I believe, said they were bigger than Led Zeppelin. That didn't go over well with a lot of people. Popular bands get harassed like that every now and then for whatever reason. I loved their 1st album and purchased all the others too but haven't really listened to them since they weren't IMHO as good as the first. But let's face it, they are successful. BTW, Nickelback's new album kicks ass.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I've enjoyed their music. They haven't evolved as a group much but neither has Collective Soul(another one I like) as someone has pointed out. I guess I'm not too picky with who I listen to. I do like a variety of music. I would have to guess that the reason people bash them is that the radio plays their hit single over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over until you want to stick a red hot pocker through your head. But maybe I'm the only one that doesn't like the same music played over, and over.....

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. A common complaint I read about current popular rock bands, especially from older folks, is that these bands lack hooks and good riffs.

Sometimes I get the feeling that everyone agrees on the idea that modern rock is weak but not on why. :)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Here is my take. Mind you, I like Creed, and have a couple of their albums, but when you have 900 discs, you have a couple of albums by EVERYBODY.

I like their stuff. Their first album still kicks major ass and I pop it in all the time. However, since that album they have become more and more commercial. The first album was catchy and did have very lyrical and musical hooks, but there was an edge to it that the subsequent albums lack. I think a lot of people see wasted potential in this band and get pissed that they have become a pretentious band who "settles" for writing catchy radio friendly rock, rather than another "My Own Prison"

Second and more subtle is their religious beliefs which come out in all their lyrics and especially videos. The first album had religious overtones, but more along the lines of an individuals self struggle and using God to get him through that. The subsequent albums come off way more "preachy" and that turns me off. I think a lot of people don't like Creed for the same reasons a lot of people didn't like Stryper in the 80's....after all, there was nothing different about THEIR music from Poison or Ratt, except for the lyrics. Both Robert and Michael Sweet as well as Tim Gaines and Oz Fox were every bit the musicians as Robin Crosby, Warren DiMartini or CC Deville, but they relished in basic obscurity in comparison because of their religious stance.

These are just my opinions mind you.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Evan,
:emoji_thumbsup: My thoughts exactly :emoji_thumbsup:

Except for the "preachy" turning me off, as Christian rock/metal/rap is mostly what I listen to (Pillar,ThousandFoot Krutch,Disciple,etc.)

Chris

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Any band with a 'message' has a bullseye written all over it. The fact that Creed are supremely untalented musicians AND songwriters makes them an easier target.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
the "preachiness" is a definite turn off to me. plus the music is just horrible. of course, i listen to the music on the opposite end of the spectrum. give me deicide's "once upon the cross" or bile's "demonic electronic" any day. ahhh yes, "sweet satan, please buy me a sony dvd..."

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks