What's new

Why couldn't they re-mix Imagine DVD? (1 Viewer)

barry

Agent
From what I have read on various DVD sale sites, the upcoming DVD release Imagine: Deluxe Edition is only Dolby 2.0 for the main audio.
I can't believe they would blow a great chance like this...

Kenny Neal

Stunt Coordinator
For all the justified demanding we do on this board for OAR, I'm fine with audio being as true as possible to the original mix.

But to guess at an answer to your question, I'd say money.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Why?

Because the album Imagine was mixed by Phil Spector, one of the greatest record producers who ever lived. Re-mixing Spector is like re-cutting Welles (not that that hasn't stopped them before!)

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
Gimme Some Truth - The Making of John Lennon's "Imagine" DVD

Has Remix 5.1 (remix 2.0 for the CD reissue)

Paul

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Yes, but the 1988 movie Imagine: John Lennon was not. While the movie features footage of Spector and Lennon in the studio and features songs that Spector produced, the audio for the movie wasn't handled by Spector.

Nevertheless, I have been waiting for a DVD release of this movie for years, and am glad it is being released. There's some confusion as to whether it was ever issued on DVD. Some say that a Region 1 release indeed did come out in the early days of DVD; others say no way. There are some DVD copies for sale on eBay (and have been for years) and Amazon has a listing for an old version of the movie.

Dec. 6 can't get here soon enough!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
If Lennon were alive to supervise a re-mix, that would be one thing.

But he recorded his music to be heard Left/Right, and I wouldn't want anyone else (including his widow) but Mr. Lennon himself supervising a remix that wouldn't reflect the work of this consummate artist.

JOHN LENNON: IMAGINE is a superb work that has never really gotten its due. Hopefully DVD will provide that.

I can't believe he's been gone 25 years.....

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

People seem confused. This isn't a discussion of remixing the 1971 Imagine album - something Yoko already did, BTW. It's a discussion of remixing the 1988 Imagine movie. Lennon was dead eight years when it was made - he never had any involvement in it, so his absence has no relevance here...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Correct, Colin.

By the way - any talk of extras for this DVD? There are some "scenes" that never made the final cut that have been floating around...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
From the Amazon listing:

DVD Features:
* Available Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
* Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround)
* A Tribute to John Lennon: The Man, the Music, the Memories
* John Lennon trivia track
* Never-before-released performance of "Imagine" by John Lennon on acoustic guitar
* Never-before-seen island house footage from Tittenhurst Estate
* John Lennon: Truth Be Told (BBC radio interview)
* Interview with William Ernest Pobjoy, headmaster of John Lennon's grammar school

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Do I misunderstand the process of making a movie such as this?

My understanding is that the filmmakers would not have been given access to unmixed multitrack tapes -- rather, they would have been given stereo mixdown masters. As a result, (barring any further studio tinkering) the songs in the movie would sound identical to the same songs on the corresponding album.

However, re-mixing the film into 5.1 for DVD release would require access to the multitracks, and would eliminate much of the fine work done when the album was originally mixed.

Or, that is how I understand the situation. Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

---

Regardless, it is my opinion that whenever the subject of modifying a completed film comes up, the burden falls to the modifier to explain why the film should be changed. In other words, the question should be, "Why should they re-mix the Imagine DVD?" Unless there is a compelling reason to make a change, the audio mix (as well as the aspect ratio, running time, and every other aspect of the film) should be presented on DVD unchanged.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I watched this on VHS when it came out and it was the first time I'd seen the footage shot on video included as actual video footage, not the video-to-film footage as it appears in the theatrical prints. The end credits were done on video too if I remember correctly. This really bugged me, they've been doing this on recent documentaries too. If it's released as a film, it should be on film!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks