Why concentration of retailers in NY?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Robert K, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Robert K

Robert K Agent

While researching the purchase of a HDTV online, I see that viturally all the online dealers (with best prices) are in the NY/NJ area. Many on the same street and a few even with the same address.

Why is there such concentration of dealers in that area and no where else in the US? If its cargo ship import proximity, I would think there would also be large concentration of dealers on west coast where most of the far east imports go.

Is there a reason for this?

Many of the dealer have reaonably well done websites and state US Warranty and Factory sealed units. All show up on the Pricegrabber, CNET et all websites and most with reasonable feedback ratings. But still wondering if the price is too good to be true and somehow related to this unusual concentration of online dealers.

ANy experience in this area to share?

2. John S

John S Producer

Buyer beware.. Check them out as good as you can before ordering.

Many of the very best almost to good to be true priced outfits out of NY/NJ are nothing more than bait and switch cons. They either try to get you to buy every accessory under the sun or come back with the item you ordered is a special over seas model and will come with no warranty and will take like 6 weeks to get, would you rather buy this one instead for way more money.

ect..ect..ect...ect....

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    There are a lot of manufacturers which seem to be HQed in NY/NJ like Sharp (mahwah, NJ), Toshiba, JVC, Onkyo, Panasonic (Matsushita) all have corporate presences or HQ'ed in this area. I don't know if that has anything to do with it though.

BH Photo is a store in Manhatten that I would trust, they are huge in photography, have a really good catalog and are reasonably priced, i.e. not that expensive and not crazy cheap either.

Jay

4. Robert K

Robert K Agent

thats a good point. Ill give B&H a call. They have been around a long while and are the real deal.

thanks again

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    J&R Music World is another established dealer that has a good reputation for delivering what they adverise. As for the original question, "Why concentration of retailers in NY?" obvoulsy because it is the center of the universe! [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

(From exile in Florida)

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I ran into this exact situation when buying a digital camera a couple of years ago (I cannot remember the name of the slimeball etailer, unfortunately). I cancelled the order and bought the camera from BH Photo -- a very reputable dealer who I had done business with previously. I've also had good experiences with J&R.

7. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

I too wound up buying my digicam from B&H or is it BH??? Good deal for both of us.

MikeS.