What's new

Why "Classic" TV DVD? (2 Viewers)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
TravisR said:
Other than a handful of Netflix shows, we still do.
No, nowadays, we get America's Got Talent on two nights a week, and The Million-Second Quiz on EVERY night for two weeks...
Networks have become so desperate to look for franchises, that they'll show any thing they think gets watched, any time they can.
(Schedules first started to decline back when Ted Turner became jealous of HBO, and the fact that you could catch the same movie on three or four times in the same week, and keep your own viewing schedule flexible. And then NBC started to get jealous of Ted Turner.)

I dunno, anybody remember back when it was a "disaster" and Michael Eisner's career was "destroyed" by putting Millionaire on seven nights a week? It's almost like that's become okay, now.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Ejanss said:
with unlimited access to the TV cookie-jar, we sit like kids who dream of scarfing the whole package of Oreos at once.
The closest comparison I can think of offhand, was when I first got on the internet around 20 years ago.

Back then, I went on huge long netsurfing marathons that lasted all day (or all night). During summers or holidays, I sometimes went on netsurfing marathons that lasted two or three days with very little to no sleep (ie. lots of caffeine).

After such crazy marathons, I was completely wiped out.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
jcroy said:
The closest comparison I can think of offhand, was when I first got on the internet around 20 years ago.

Back then, I went on huge long netsurfing marathons that lasted all day (or all night). During summers or holidays, I sometimes went on netsurfing marathons that lasted two or three days with very little to no sleep (ie. lots of caffeine).

After such crazy marathons, I was completely wiped out.
There's also a middle ground provided today, and that is focusing on a single show during your standard viewing time. So I might watch 2-3 hours a night on one show until the story arc or season is complete. Some times based on my mood I'll watch the same series a few nights in a row even if the individual episodes are independent.

That's the real benefit of the way TV is presented today with DVD purchasing, rentals, and streaming. If someone wants to create a once a week appraoch to watching shows they can. If others choose to watch various shows in bunches they can as well. In the old days, it was a single fixed approach we all had to follow. I would never trade what we have today for the fixed approach of the past. I happen to enjoy having the flexibility to pick and choose on a night to night basis.

There's nothing wrong with scarfing a whole bag of Oreos at once when it relates to low-calorie TV shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks