What's new

Why "Classic" TV DVD? (2 Viewers)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
derosa said:
Literally means actually, you mean figuratively.
No, I mean literally--50's corporations would hire advertising agencies to come up with a show concept to go with their commercials.
And then, some poor Mad-Men suit exec who got the Texaco account would go home, come up with an idea, and tell the boardroom on Monday morning, "Hey, how about giving Milton Berle his own variety hour?"

It wasn't until the end of the 50's/early 60's, when the FCC decided that sponsors had too much control over content (the famous example of a gas company wanting to take out script references to "gas ovens" in Judgment at Nuremburg) that a rule was passed to allow multiple advertisers for a show, and networks and producers were more responsible for getting shows off the ground.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Ejanss said:
Back in the day, shows were MADE by sponsors. LITERALLY.
Advertising agents were hired to provide synopses and lineups for who would headline the Kraft Variety Hour.

So, in those days, commercials....sold products. And who knows, maybe all that macaroni and cheese actually looked tasty enough for me to go out and want to buy a box.
We didn't have nasty hip/antisocial former Gen-Y advertising agents fresh out of college trying to audition themselves as Internet-comedy filmmakers, try to backhandedly overcompensate for their "square" corporate advertising jobs by being Hip and Random, and showing us two guys with guitars saying:
"Hey, Joe, ever thought about saving money on insurance?"
"No, but I've thought about Abraham Lincoln in a bikini!"
:rolleyes:

(Geico and CapitalOne already seem to be the worst offenders--Geico's already tasted blood with that Cavemen sitcom, and now they're hungry for more off-topic ancillary corporate-icon franchise marketing in lieu of actually selling their product.)

I remember when I got my first "real" HDTV a few years ago, I first thought "Finally, 1080p, and nothing on... :( " Fortunately, though, it was the same month that PBS was showing one of their incredibly good big-budget Dickens adaptations, and I found myself actually hooked on saving my Sunday nights--Not so much because Dickens was the first soap-opera writer, but more for digging out the microwave popcorn and saying, "Wow, it's...it's just like the old days! I'm watching TV as it's being broadcast, only better! I'll have to pay attention, because I can't rewind it!"

SHIELD was one of the few shows where I knew the concept and relative quality early on, could actually watch the pilot, and didn't have to catch up with the show a year later on Netflix because it'd taken that long for cult fandom/word-of-mouth to spread after the fact.
May just watch for the novelty of having to save Tuesday nights again, but they better stay off the X-Files "season arc" crap and just cut to the chase of introducing new hero cameos.
The fact where it's second nature to wait for boxset/Netflix now, though, speaks volumes.
I've always been impressed with my 55" LED. I have a computer with an HDMI output hooked to it and that's how I view Netflix. I am still amazed at the picture quality of old shows that have been transferred to hi-def!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Ejanss said:
Fortunately, though, it was the same month that PBS was showing one of their incredibly good big-budget Dickens adaptations, and I found myself actually hooked on saving my Sunday nights--Not so much because Dickens was the first soap-opera writer, but more for digging out the microwave popcorn and saying, "Wow, it's...it's just like the old days! I'm watching TV as it's being broadcast, only better! I'll have to pay attention, because I can't rewind it!"
Other than a few sporting events, my primary viewing is all about classic TV. However, my take is a bit different than yours. I want the nostalgia of watching shows I grew up with, as well as the many similarily based shows of the time, or even earlier that I never saw. But the last thing I want to do is recreate the environment with which I had to watch the shows (e.g., watching from a small TV across the room, having to deal with TV scheduling, only being able to watch a prime time shows once a week, fear of missing an episode).

What I have now is what I could only dream about existing back then. Now I have plenty of content available. I can watch exactly what I want when I want, and on a nice size projection system. For me, its all about having the content I want and removing the limitations I was forced to deal with in my youth.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Ejanss said:
I remember when I got my first "real" HDTV a few years ago, I first thought "Finally, 1080p, and nothing on... :( "
I felt that way too for several years, after buying my first real large screen hdtv. (This was a few years ago. I was a late bloomer when it came to television + home video stuff).

Out of ignorance at the time, I didn't know that cable digital hdtv service was actually a separate subscription different from basic analog cable, and required the rental (or purchase) of a DVR box. At the time, I had the old VHS vcr machine connected to the hdtv screen and was using the vcr's analog tuner to watch cable channels.

I didn't even know what genuine 1080p video was suppose to look like, until I picked up a bluray player.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
jcroy said:
I didn't even know what genuine 1080p video was suppose to look like, until I picked up a bluray player.
I would have liked to see the expression on your face...

:biggrin:

Remember the first disc you put in the player?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Mike Frezon said:
Remember the first disc you put in the player?
THUNDERBIRDS! :biggrin: When I was in First Grade this show had the honor of being the first Science-Fiction Show I ever saw. It came out in December of 2002. On the day of its release I BEELINED to my local BiBi's (That's Best Buy for those of you in Carizzo Springs! :laugh:). Arriving there I saw an employee stocking copies of this show on the shelf. I took the copy out of his hand and went to checkout to pay for it. Little did I know four years later...

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Regulus said:
THUNDERBIRDS! :biggrin: When I was in First Grade this show had the honor of being the first Science-Fiction Show I ever saw. It came out in December of 2002. On the day of its release I BEELINED to my local BiBi's (That's Best Buy for those of you in Carizzo Springs! :laugh:). Arriving there I saw an employee stocking copies of this show on the shelf. I took the copy out of his hand and went to checkout to pay for it. Little did I know four years later...
So what happened four years later? :unsure:

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
jcroy said:
Out of ignorance at the time, I didn't know that cable digital hdtv service was actually a separate subscription different from basic analog cable, and required the rental (or purchase) of a DVR box. At the time, I had the old VHS vcr machine connected to the hdtv screen and was using the vcr's analog tuner to watch cable channels.

I actually HAD the local HD network affiliates--Back when I could simply plug the cable into the set tuner and get the local stations, before those greedy Comcast bastards socked me with a scrambler box and TOOK THEM AWAY, to hold them "hostage" for a $150/mo "Digital package".
But back then, I "only" had a broadcast-HD 720p set, which still made the HDTV channels look good to my poor SD eyes, hence my thrill at watching the Dickens serials on PBS HD.

I had Blu-ray, but from all the talk, I knew there had to be something better out there...

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I grew up in the fifties and sixties, so my perspective is different than many of you. I had five brothers and a sister, and until I was in high school we had only one TV set. Consequently, I had very little say about what shows I could watch. In the seventies I had control over my TV, but until the advent of affordable VCRs if I had to miss a show I had to wait and hope to catch it during reruns. DVD has given me the opportunity to watch many of the shows I saw only sporadically when I was young. I now have the complete runs of Have Gun Will Travel, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Sea Hunt, Highway Patrol, The Twilight Zone, Peter Gunn, Mr. Lucky, Yancy Derringer, The Untouchables, Wanted - Dead or Alive, etc., and nearly complete runs of Perry Mason, Rawhide, and a few others. From the seventies I have MASH, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, All in the Family, and The Rockford Files.

However, I don't just live in the past. I don't have much interest in network TV shows these days, but I do watch quality cable shows such as Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Homeland, Damages, etc.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My first high def TV experience from a network show: CSI. The combination of high def, widescreen, and surround sound made me think I was looking at a movie rather than a network TV show.

My first 1080p movie was The Searchers, and the clarity and strength of color just blew me away. I've been a high def junkie ever since.

Like Rich, I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s, so I have very fond memories of many of the shows discussed in this forum and am proud to own some of my favorites in complete runs (Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, Perry Mason, Superman).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Another 50s/60s kid here.

We had a single TV until I was 14 when dad purchased a Heathkit color set that we assembled together and I got the old family B/W set. Until then we watched what dad wanted to watch *if* he was in the house at the time (I distinctly remember him making time for and watching Gilligan's Island). He was usually in his shop working on 2-way radios (a 2nd job and the business he still owns and runs). Most evenings my sister and I would argue over which program to watch. Mom didn't care as she was usually busy in the kitchen or doing other things.

I greatly enjoy re-exploring my youth and finally seeing episodes and programs I missed for one reason or another (usually in bed, at church, watched the competition instead, or just too young to watch certain programs). It's also neat to introduce my grandkids to programs I watched when I was their age. My grandson *loves* I Love Lucy. My granddaughter *loves* The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle. Both like Dennis the Menace, Gilligan's Island, The Flintstones, and more.

I've also been surprised at how many programs I liked as a kid that I still enjoy. Even with some of the "worst" ones I find some redeeming quality. When I finally saw episodes of Space Angel again, a program I *loved* as a kid, I was surprised at the "animation" style as I remembered it being full animation. Even so, I still enjoy the Alex Toth artwork and some of the stories.

That's not to say I live in the past as my collection has material from almost every decade of broadcast TV with the 70s possibly having the greatest representation (which surprised me when I did a year by year tally a year or so back). I've purchased quite a few more programs from the 50s/60s since then so I need to revisit the counts to see if anything has changed.

So... Why "Classic" TV DVD? I'd say it's like comfort food. When everything seems to be going down the toilet watching something that made you happy as a kid tends to make you happy as an adult.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
BobO'Link said:
Another 50s/60s kid here.

We had a single TV until I was 14 when dad purchased a Heathkit color set that we assembled together and I got the old family B/W set. Until then we watched what dad wanted to watch *if* he was in the house at the time (I distinctly remember him making time for and watching Gilligan's Island). He was usually in his shop working on 2-way radios (a 2nd job and the business he still owns and runs). Most evenings my sister and I would argue over which program to watch. Mom didn't care as she was usually busy in the kitchen or doing other things.

I greatly enjoy re-exploring my youth and finally seeing episodes and programs I missed for one reason or another (usually in bed, at church, watched the competition instead, or just too young to watch certain programs). It's also neat to introduce my grandkids to programs I watched when I was their age. My grandson *loves* I Love Lucy. My granddaughter *loves* The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle. Both like Dennis the Menace, Gilligan's Island, The Flintstones, and more.

I've also been surprised at how many programs I liked as a kid that I still enjoy. Even with some of the "worst" ones I find some redeeming quality. When I finally saw episodes of Space Angel again, a program I *loved* as a kid, I was surprised at the "animation" style as I remembered it being full animation. Even so, I still enjoy the Alex Toth artwork and some of the stories.

That's not to say I live in the past as my collection has material from almost every decade of broadcast TV with the 70s possibly having the greatest representation (which surprised me when I did a year by year tally a year or so back). I've purchased quite a few more programs from the 50s/60s since then so I need to revisit the counts to see if anything has changed.

So... Why "Classic" TV DVD? I'd say it's like comfort food. When everything seems to be going down the toilet watching something that made you happy as a kid tends to make you happy as an adult.
Cartoons such as Space Angel and the 1966 Marvel Superheros had primitive animation, but the storytelling more than makes up for this. I'm glad to hear you've introduced your grandkids to the classics. #Every Christmas I give a friend several Classic Cartoon DVD Sets for her kids to watch, needless to say they lap em up!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Mike Frezon said:
I would have liked to see the expression on your face...

:biggrin:
I think watching Avatar as my first bluray, kinda spoiled me and set up some very unrealistic expectations of 1080p video. (ie. I was expecting every bluray movie to look as crystal clear as Avatar). The next bluray movie I put on was Blade Runner, which I thought looked brilliant.

At that time I also picked up Dollhouse seasons 1 and 2, twelve James Bond titles, the Star Wars saga, Sanctuary season 3, Fringe season 1, etc ..., all of which I also thought looked brilliant on bluray. (The James Bond blurays were $5 each).

It felt like being on "cloud 9" for about a week or so.

That "cloud 9" feeling abruptly ended and crashed back down to earth, when I first put on the blurays of older movies like Rambo, Total Recall, Terminator 1, Robocop, Fifth Element, Cobra, etc ... which all had rather crappy transfers. That's when I came to the sudden realization that not every bluray is as good as Avatar when it comes to picture quality. (But they did look better than the dvd versions, when doing an a/b comparison between the pictures).

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I've enjoyed the posts on this topic that talk about the pleasures of older television programs.

One of the reasons I enjoy some of these old programs relates to a famous quote by British writer Leslie Poles Hartley: "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there." I think L. P. Hartley touched on something, for there is something wonderfully different about the past.

One of the contrasts touched on here has been that of self-contained episodes vs. vast story arcs that take a year or sometimes more to play out. I actually like both ways of telling stories, and so I especially appreciate the later Star Trek series like TNG, DS9, and Voyager that for the most part successfully do both.

But if I had to pick, I'd say that maybe more has been lost than gained with 21st century TV series that have huge arcs and tend to be violent and sordid. I've watched and enjoyed once shows like Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Mad Men, the new Battlestar Galactica, etc., but so far I haven't wanted to return to these shows to watch them again. Partly it's the content, but it's also that it makes little sense to "just watch an episode" of these new shows, because instead you almost are forced to start at the beginning and watch in order.

In contrast, there are some episodes of a few old shows, like Star Trek and The Twilight Zone, that I've seen half a dozen or even a dozen times in past few decades. I'll probably watch another old Star Trek long before I venture again into the sleazy and sometimes non-sensical world of the new BSG.

And so although I like a few new shows (currently I'm watching Once Upon a Time, Murdoch Mysteries, and Nashville), generally I admire the storytelling of old shows more.

My current favorite old show is The Virginian, which as you folks know was an ambitious attempt to mount a small Western movie as a weekly tv series. The 75-minute episode length (without commercials) of this show is probably one reason why The Virginian is much less well-known than other shows of this era, like Bonanza, The Twilight Zone, The Dick van Dyke Show, Star Trek, Gilligan's Island, Get Smart, etc. While those other shows had seemingly endless reruns In the 1970s and 80s that introduced new generations of viewers to them, The Virginian with its weird length almost dropped off the map as far as I can tell. At least I never saw it in reruns when I was a kid.

I've watched through the middle of the 5th season of the show now, and I feel fairly confident in saying that The Virginian is one of the best television shows in the history of American TV. The scope of the episodes, the variety, the good cinematography, scores by composers like Bernard Herrmann, intelligent teleplays, very good regular cast and guest stars, plots that are self contained and often make important moral points, etc, all mark this show as an example of the phrase "they don't make 'em like this anymore."

I can imagine, however, that younger viewers introduced to The Virginian would find themselves frustrated for many reasons. The pace of the editing is much more leisurely. A stage coach with its team of four or six is often followed across the landscape in a lingering shot, clearly following in the footsteps of John Ford and others. Conversations sometimes meander rather than getting right to the point. And rather like in life sometimes small things happen that don't directly relate to the main plot.

Compared to today's shows, I can imagine a young viewer impatient because there isn't magic, there aren't superpowers, things don't blow up all the time, there aren't endless chase sequences that last half the running time while simultaneously cutting out character development, etc. I guess I'm turning into a cranky old man, but sometimes today's shows seem paced and plotted assuming that few have the ability to concentrate for an extended time on a real drama.

Well, those are my two cents for today....

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Ejanss said:
EVERY series that tells a story now has to have a season-long serial arc. (Even Star Trek: Enterprise had to experiment with it, although that turned out to be a partly failure.) I often wonder how much of that is the new rise of networks having to sell shows as Name Product Franchise, to "enforce" loyalty among its audience. Shows are already crammed into every available viewing minute to keep viewers from changing channels--lest even one commercial between shows should distract them--that now they're afraid of losing viewers from one episode to the next, never mind one season to the next.
OTOH, the BBC, which deals in closed seasons of seven or thirteen episodes at a time, has always been used to the idea of closed serial arcs, and can shape Sherlock or Downton Abbey to fit. For them, that was just standard storytelling; US viewers just found themselves hooked on it anyway.
Over the last few months or so, I've found that serialized shows only really works for me when the number of episodes is relatively low. This number for me, is around 13 to 30 episodes. For a serialized storyline significantly longer than 30 or so episodes, I start to lose interest.

Over this past weekend, I did a marathon rewatch of the two seasons of Dollhouse on bluray. (26 episodes + unaired pilot). It was great watching it a second time. I didn't really appriciate the nuances during the first time I watched it a few years ago.

Awhile ago I did a marathon viewing of the first two seasons of Nikita on bluray. (45 episodes). I found that by the time it was around episode 37 or 38, it felt like a long slog to reach episode 45.

(In the case of Nikita season 3, it seemed like almost a different show. I watched the original first-run broadcasts.)

For a serialized show like Fringe (100 episodes over 5 seasons), I found that I could only really watch two consecutive seasons in a marathon. It felt like too much of a slog to watch more than two seasons during a marathon.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
jcroy said:
Awhile ago I did a marathon viewing of the first two seasons of Nikita on bluray. (45 episodes). I found that by the time it was around episode 37 or 38, it felt like a long slog to reach episode 45.

For a serialized show like Fringe (100 episodes over 5 seasons), I found that I could only really watch two consecutive seasons in a marathon. It felt like too much of a slog to watch more than two seasons during a marathon.
Now, y'see, that's part of the whole basic problem I was referring to: I DON'T WATCH marathons. At all.
I keep worrying that I'm going to run out of good series on Instant Netflix if I "binge" them all at once, that I decide they're better if I parcel them out, and "always leave yourself wanting the next one". (Oh, I might binge two episodes of the Avengers:EMH cartoon, or close two-part "cliffhanger" episodes, esp. with the 60's Batman, but...)
We used to get one show every week, like getting one cookie every day after school; now, with unlimited access to the TV cookie-jar, we sit like kids who dream of scarfing the whole package of Oreos at once.

As you can guess from that other "What happened to 70's TV?" post (10 Likes already!--Quit Liking it, it wasn't that good! :D ), I'm used to the days when you got through your week knowing that Tuesdays were Happy Days and Thursdays were Cheers.
So now, I get the best of the "old days', and parcel out one streaming episode of my favorite current series on the same day each week: Fridays for one of the Trek series, Saturday night for Mythbusters, Sunday nights for Poirot or other BBC mysteries, etc.
That way, I get to enjoy a little at a time, keep myself hooked from week to week, and get through the week without having to worry about being in at 8 o'clock.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
In contrast, there are some episodes of a few old shows, like Star Trek and The Twilight Zone, that I've seen half a dozen or even a dozen times in past few decades. I'll probably watch another old Star Trek long before I venture again into the sleazy and sometimes non-sensical world of the new BSG.
I remember my sister had gotten hooked on the new SyFy "serial drama" version of BSG, and the 8-11 yo. kids had gotten hooked as well--I had never watched the show, but we got into a big discussion with the younger generation about "Did you ever even SEE the original BSG?? It was just a network that could afford cheap SFX trying to rip off the Star Wars craze! It was just shooting robot Stormtroopers!--We didn't have season-long conspiracy theories or dramas about deep psychological character arcs!"

I had never felt so "In my day, junior...", but as cheesy as the old series was (and brother, was it 70's-cheesy, on Netflix) its new post-HBO "Emmy-winning cable drama" format just spells out how much we've forgotten about what "place" TV was supposed to know, and how much we appreciated TV for knowing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks