why choose htpc?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brice, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

I just heard about these home theater pcs and want to know why use them? I know it will probably be cheaper but can anyone give me any information on WHY use them over a "normal" home theater with seperate components?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

And if you don't feel like following Max's link- here are some more links to previous info:
    Most importantly (and in my opinion the real purpose of HTPC) is the quality of scaling. If you use a real hi-def display device, you should be adjusting DVD input to the native res for best picture--- and HTPC offers the best scale quality to dollar ratio on the planet...
    Or, as I explained it back in Aug 2001:
    See also a few of the first dozen times someone asked this question:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=72293
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=45001
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&threadid=5221
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...51&perpage=999
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...77&perpage=999

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

(BTW Vince, did you recover that review of the theatertek software dvd player?)

5. David Broome

David Broome Stunt Coordinator

I will be the first to admit that HTPC's give great performance for the reasons listed above plus many others.

On the other hand, it isn't fair to sing the praises without extolling the shortcomings as well.

With a DVD player, it is basically plug it in, change the settings and then your Mom coud run it.

With an HTPC you have to REALLY put some time into it, and even then you may or may not have the exprtise to make it work just right or easy enough for another member of your family use it.

I for one spend 8-12 hours programming a computer during the day, and was NOT willing to then turn around and spend a ton of hours trying to make it all work flawlessly. I had lip syncing issues, crashing issues, etc. I finally got mine to acceptable behavior, and then I was the only one who could run it. I for one wasn't willing to continue the blood sweat and tears to keep it running, and went back to the progressive scan DVD player. Sure, I sacrificed that extra 5-10% of PQ, but I'm the only one who could tell, even with an A/B comparison.

I'm much happier with a DVD player than an HTPC. But others are the exact opposite. I recommend you spend a little time doing research and figuring out if you are willing to spend the time on it first. I'm not.

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

David,

You make a good point. However- I would say that once you get things worked out- I find it easier to use than a stand alone player. Especially in terms of aspect ratio- I can't count the number of times I found my girlfriend watching films with the projector in the wrong mode.

With TT and my config- insert disc- all formatting is auto.

Max- review is coming. Recovered it yesterday (still working out some bugs on the new machine)--- I have 3 papers due this week- but I'm hoping to finish and polish it and post it Thursday (the last day of my class, yay!)

-V

7. David Broome

It's before the "once you get things worked out" period that turned me off.

I'll freely admit that I occasionaly experience great temptation to go back to the HTPC, as I really loved Zoom's bookmark feature that let you skip the FBI warning and just automatically start the movie with everything setup correctly. Maybe one of these days I'll build a better HTPC from scratch and train my wife a little better.

But until then, my RP56 has saved me MUCH headache, and a simple macro on the Pronto labeled "The people are short and fat, HELP!" will take care of the wife and aspect ratio trouble :)

8. Dave Weida

Dave Weida Extra

Wow, this last post really got me to thinking. I was going to order an HTPC from Cellar Cinemas, but, if this is not going to work what else do you recommend?

I have a display with 1366x768 Native Resolution for which they set, calibrate, tweak the OS, etc. based on the info I give them. I was going to use it for DVD, HD viewing/recording, jukebox, video capture for DVD/VCD recording, Web/E-mail. So are you saying that even having it put together with all the components I will still have alot of problems?

Dave

9. David Broome

Nah. If someone does all the work for you, and is willing to sell it and support it, I can't imagine you will have the same trouble I did when trying to do all the work myself.