What's new

Why Cats? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
There's a great "pickles" cartoon about the difference. The old lady starts out feeding the dog, who thinks "she feeds me and takes care of me and caters to my every whim - she must be a god." Then she starts feeding the cat, who thinks "she feeds me and takes care of me and caters to my every whim - I must be a god."

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Jack, I like your response from last January the best.

2.5 years ago, I had to have my 21 year-old tabby put to sleep. I decided I didn't want another cat. No, not because it was so painful and traumatic ... I just didn't want the fuss.

Hmmm. 2 years ago I took his leftover canned food, some blankets/towels, etc. to the local Humane Society. Yes, I looked at the cats. Yes, I ended up with 2 of them.

These have become the most precious cats I have ever known, and I've had cats all my life. They are sweet, playful, smart, happy and confident, they make me laugh like crazy ... and the most affectionate little guys you can imagine.

"...life is unimaginable without them ..."

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
My dowry at the wedding was a dog, whom we loved very much for many years. We chose a cat as our second pet and, although I was reluctant at first due to lack of any prior experience with cats, I can't imagine not having her with us now.

Her name: "Rosalita."

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
This guy lives with us. His name is Mickey, BTW.

It took more than 14 years, but he finally succeeded in training us almost right.

Cees

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Cees you've been holding out on us - I never knew you had a kitty friend before. Mickey's face looks just like Katiekat's. Is he spotted over the rest of his body?

How the heck did you get him to pose? My guys always start to wiggle whenever I pull out the camera.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Let me pre-apologize for offending cat lovers. ;)

Growing up on a farm gave me a different take on the whole dogs vs cats debate.

Around the farm, cats are a utilitarian nuisance. They keep away mice and other vermin. Other than that, they just hang around hoping for to be fed. To me, the difference between cats and dogs is that dogs enjoy the company of humans. Dogs are affectionate because they love people, cats are affectionate because they love food and warm things. A cat could care less if you get hit by a truck. I dont mind cats, and find them quite nice to be around, I just dont think they are the "companion" they way a dog is.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Cees, I think Mickey has a long lost cousin. Mickey, meet Chloe:

I grew up with dogs. Never imagined having a cat as a pet, until this little stray weaseled her way into my life 10 years ago. Now I can't imagine life without a cat. Much more suited to my lifestyle, and an endless source of fascination.

A cat could care less if you get hit by a truck.
I used to think. However, I go away several times a year for up to two weeks at a time. I have either a cat sitter or friends watch my cat. They feed her, clean the litter box and play with her. Everything that I do. Yet, when I get home, she's a mess. Won't leave me out of her sight. She's all over me. Walk out the door and she howls. This goes on for days, so obviously there's more of a connection than just the basic cat necessities.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Scotties; the dog for cat lovers!
More than one cat lover has told me Scotties are the only dog they would have.
Independent as hell, ignores most people and yawns when there is someone at the door unless it is somone special

After losing my boy a couple of months ago I can understand when my mother said she might get a cat but never another dog.
She can't stand outliving a dog and today when I was walking home and it hit me he wouldn't be there .....I just about broke down and understood exactly what she meant
I miss him so much

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I used to think. However, I go away several times a year for up to two weeks at a time. I have either a cat sitter or friends watch my cat. They feed her, clean the litter box and play with her. Everything that I do. Yet, when I get home, she's a mess. Won't leave me out of her sight. She's all over me. Walk out the door and she howls. This goes on for days, so obviously there's more of a connection than just the basic cat necessities.
Same thing here, Pamela. Our two cats would always miss my wife and I when we were away on vacation, and would stick to us like glue when we returned. When just my wife was away, I noticed that they did not eat as much, either.

Our 16 year old male cat, Casey, passed away this summer. His litter mate, Sheena, spent many days after he was gone walking from room to room looking for him. She would lay in bed at night with us, and frequently lift her head up looking for him to hop into bed with us. It was very sad to witness, since we understood why he was not there, but Sheena did not.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Rabbits are cuter than both cats and dogs!

:D

I have one bunny and have fostered many others; they have so much personality and can be very loving. I think they are very underrated.

And I hope Im not thread farting. I do like both cats and dogs. I just wanted to throw props to bunnies. As well they are similar to cats.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member

presenting nani, hoku, and kea (and my mx-500)

love my cats. it's to the point now where neither my wife nor i can sleep at night unless nani and kea are on the bed. nani likes to lie right on top of my feet. even if i move around or kick my feet, she just rolls with the punches and lays there. :emoji_thumbsup:

kea is still just a kitten, so she tends to bounce around a little more. once she figures out we're all trying to sleep though, then she'll settle in. one weird thing about kea - she likes to fetch. i'll toss this little disc thingy and she'll bring it back. cracks me up. :)

hoku is a little more independent...we find him laying on the couch in the morning...without fail. he's our burly-man cat - dude weighs in at almost 15 pounds! he's the most chilly of them all though. i can flip him upside down in the air, landing him on my shoulder and he doesn't even freak out. he just looks around going, 'ho hum'.

but i think when i move we'll be getting a chocolate lab. yay!

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Why cats? Because dogs can't or won't do this:

Or this (taken with our first, crappy quality, digital camera):

Or this:

Or

More here.

This cat, Ran Tan, was the sweetest, most affectionate, most loving cat I've ever owned. He was silly putty. He died (had cancer, but died of a stroke) earlier this year and I still haven't quite gotten over it. Other cat lovers will understand.

I grew up with and love dogs, but I'm mainly a cat person.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hey Vickie, I got my own Ecto, but his name is Fred, who is very affectionate, but his eyes go scary Red when the flash hits them. The Fred link is an old photo of Fred when he was just a kitty.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Fred's a ringer allright! Ah, but is he a "bastard cat"? We (affectionately) call him that because he's a snoot. He doesn't like to be held and only wants to be petted when he decides it's time. He won't have anything to do with the other cats (who are very very sluttily affectionate) and thinks he owns the place.

I love Fred's eyes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks