What's new

Why Cats? (1 Viewer)

MarcVH

Second Unit
Cats fit a lot of people's lifestyles better, since they typically require much less time than dogs. From a home theater perspective, cats are better because they don't make much noise, while dogs are prone to barking at every random thing. You don't want random noises in your theater.

On the other hand, if the thought of any damage of any kind being done to your household possessions is unacceptable, then neither cats nor dogs (nor children, for that matter) will fit the bill. Maybe goldfish?

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I moved in with some roomates a couple months back and they have this old mostly black and white cat named Brando. I have grown very attached to this kitty for I have never met a friendlier cat in my entire life.

Just don't ask the stray we brought in last month about what she thinks of Brando. I swear I have never seen more tufts of fur come off a cat in that short of time...

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I love dogs also. It's just that I am city-folk, and a cat was the more sensible choice. I have come to love my new roommate very much. I think cats require more affection, care and attention than many believe.
I may be going out on a limb, but I have notice that most of my more artistic friends (musicians, writers, actors etc.) own cats. Is there something valid to this?

Marc H

Second Unit
I've had both cats and dogs since I was born and if I had to pick, cats for sure.
Old cats are neat. Wise and intellegent. My current cat is about 14 years old now and the range of vocabulary he can comprehend is amazing.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I'm more of a dog person myself, though there's three cats in my house. All three cats tend to gravitate towards me. Maybe it's because hey know I'm not crazy about cats. I used to love cats, but over the years I've gotten more into dogs, and don't know why. I do love the massages they give when they knead dough on my arm though.

The best cat I ever had was Tuffy. He was more like a viscious junkyard dog than a cat, never putting up with anything. He lived to be 18 or 19. Earned his name because as a kitten, he was run over by a car, and had his jaw broken, tail snapped, teeth bent back, ribs broken, cheekbones broken, and had many cuts, scratches, and bruises. He was in intensive care for two weeks. He lived and ended up being the toughest and meanest cat you'll ever meet. He beat up dogs, scrapped with raccoons and possums, and caught rabbits, snakes, birds, squirrels, chipmunks, and mice. He even brought them in as presents for my grandmother. I miss him.

Stripe, one of my cats, is the second oldest pet in the house. He's 15 or 16, and my oldest, Sam the bluefront Amazon is about 17. Stripe's brother was Gizmo, but he got feline leukemia about 10 years ago and died. And yes, I named them after Stripe and Gizmo from the Gremlins.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Cats fit a lot of people's lifestyles better, since they typically require much less time than dogs. From a home theater perspective, cats are better because they don't make much noise, while dogs are prone to barking at every random thing. You don't want random noises in your theater.
If you don't want a big dog barking all the time, get a Basenji. My wife and I have 2 and they are probably the most cat like dog there is.

Frederick

Second Unit
I love both. I have 2 cats, but if I could, I'd have a dog, too. I still live in an apartment, and every apartment that I've been in were anti-dog, so I didn't have much of a choice. I love my cats, though. When I got married, I had a choice: either get rid of my cats and move into my wife's bigger apartment, or keep them and get a bigger apartment (not as big as hers, but bigger than mine) in my building. She didn't even flinch in her decision. She's still complaining about it, but she understands my reluctance of parting with them. My mother-in-law has a dog. A Bouvier (I know I spelt it wrong). I love that dog. Huge animal, but wouldn't hurt anybody. As soon as we get a house, we're going to find a German Short-Hair pointer, who will be named Oswald Cobblepot, to join our family "laugh: ...

Freddy C.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I was a cat person until I got a dog. I had two cats for years then a dog later. One of my cats died last year and my other cat is 14 or so. I doubt I will ever own another cat. At least until my little girl looks at me with those big eyes and asks for a kitten. :)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
My girlfriend and I had to put down our beloved Balinese cat, Tavi (as in Rikki Tikki), last night. We lost a family member. Tavi was 16 and his kidneys and liver were failing. He was a beautiful cat, full of intelligence, grace and tolerance of my cranking out the Lord of the Rings to THX levels. I've only known him for 5 years, but in that time, he woke us up nearly every morning with his distinctive 'wo-Whoaa!, 'wo-Whoaa!' His piercing blue eyes and downy coat were but the superficial trappings of the special soul within. Rest easy, 'Fuzzy.'

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, my dogs will lay on the couch with me as long as I'll let them. Lazy muts.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I used to absolutely loathe cats, but I've learned to tolerate and even like my girlfriend's cats in the 5 years I've spent living with them. Although as soon as we get a house it will be dog time-cats be damned.

And I certainly don't buy this "cats are smarter and cleaner than dogs" stuff that is thrown around. I have seem many cats do some absolutely stupid shit. Conversely, my family's late Airedale terrier and current Welsh terrier are frighteningly sharp. Plus, cats lick their privates just like any other mammal.

:D

And someone please explain to me how licking your paw and rubbing spit on your face makes you "clean".

Foster

Auditioning
Actually he's not bathing, he's replacing scent around his nose & wiskers so as not to throw off his delicate senses.

There's a neat webpage filled with tidbits about cats that will answer many questions raised here. Approaching strangers, playing rough, acting out.

Google: Why do cats sulk? and you should find a great site by sniksnak.

My favorite is when our "Mr. Bling" milk treads or softens the bed for momma & daddy. Simply adorable ritual behavior which shows how fascinating and curious cats can be.

BTW, my last pet was a german shephard (he lived a good long life of 11 yrs)and while I miss him terribly, there'll never be another like him. (not for me)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Oldie but a goodie:

Dog's Diary:

8 am - Oh Boy! Dog food! My favorite!
9 am - Oh Boy! A car ride! My favorite!
10 am - Oh Boy! A walk! My favorite!
11 am - Oh Boy! A car ride! My favorite!
Noon - Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!
1 pm - Oh boy! The Yard! My favorite!
3 pm - Oh Boy! The kids! My favorite!
4 pm - Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!
5 pm - Oh boy! Mom! My favorite!
7 pm - Oh Boy! Playing ball! My favorite!
9 pm - Oh boy! Sleeping in master's bed! My favorite!

Cat's Diary

Day 183 of my captivity...

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects.

They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal.

The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture.

Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded - must try this at the top of the stairs.

In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair -
must try this on the bed.

Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in an attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was. Hmmm, not working according to plan.

There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the food. More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies". Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room, his safety is assured.

But I can wait - It is only a matter of time...

ElAhrai

Stunt Coordinator
Oldie but a goodie
lol

I think one reason that many of the people here are cat people is because cat people tend to be more indoor people and dog people tend to be more the outdoorsy type.

I'm a big cat person myself, but my wife is allergic and she has pet parakeets, so a cat isn't an option. On the other hand, she's a dog person, and while I like dogs, I prefer to visit them at someone else's house. So to fill the position of little furry animal in our house we went with rodents. She has gerbils (which have a more active and eager to please demeanor) and I have hamsters (which are more of loners and significantly calmer).

Of course this brings our animal roll call up to 11;
5 parakeets
3 gerbils
1 traditional hamster
1 dwarf hamster
and 1 beta fighting fish.

Thankfully none of them eat all that much.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
We now have three casts (up one from my first post). My wife was initially very resistant to adding yet another, but is now beginning to think that we might need to get a kitten.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think they appeal to HT owners because, they are generally quiet
Anyone who thinks cats are quiet are invited to our house to hear our 16 year old female, Sheena, announce her presence with one of her toys at our bedroom entrance at 2am. She's louder than any alarm clock I've ever owned.

Another oldie but goodie:

HOW TO GIVE YOUR CAT A PILL

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a
baby. Position right forefinger
and thumb on either side of the cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to
cheeks while holding pill in
right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close
mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left
arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm while holding rear
paws tightly with left hand.
Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold
mouth shut for a count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Retrieve
spous! e from outside.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees. Hold front and
rear paws. Ignore low growls
emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing
wooden ruler into mouth.
Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make
note to buy new ruler and repair
curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and
set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just
visible from below armpit. Put
pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down
drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill is not harmful to humans. Drink one beer
to take taste away. Apply
Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water
and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another
beer. Place cat in cupboard and
close door on neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert
spoon. Flick pill down throat
with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges.
Drink beer. Fetch bottle
of scotch. Pour shot of scotch and drink. Apply cold compress to cheek
and check records for date
of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss
back another shot. Throw shirt
away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve cat from across the road. Apologize
to neighbor who crashed into
fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie the little &#^%#&+&%'s front legs to rear legs with garden twine
and bind tightly to leg of
dining table. Find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into
mouth followed by large piece
of steak. Be rough about it. Hold cat's head vertically and pour two pints
of water down throat to
wash pill down.

14. Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency
room. Sit quietly while
doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right
eye. Call furniture shop on
way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet
shop to see if they have any hamsters.

HOW TO GIVE YOUR DOG A PILL

1. Wrap pill in bacon. 2. Toss it in the air.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks