Why can't you use DVI on RPTV's for PC?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mando-R, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Mando-R

Mando-R Stunt Coordinator

My friend just bought a Panasonic PT47WX53 and in the manual, he says you can't use the DVI input with the DVI output on a PC. I'm wondering why you can't. If the resolution is true high definition then I see no reasoning behind that.

If the connection is the same, wouldn't it display the image just fine? I told him to use it because I figured using a PC, rather than getting a DVI out DVD Player would be better because of the ability to feed it a pure digital source without costing a lot and being able to watch pc made movies or movies on your computer also with a pure digital source.

Anyone have any hard info on why it wouldn't work? Any failure stories?

2. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Everybody's doing it.[​IMG]
    The only reason TV manufacturer's have that kind of stuff in owner's manuals is legalese. They don't want to hear horror story's about some idiot damaging his set with a computer, which you CAN do, if you were to feed it too high a scan rate (for example). Plus, they don't want to support a million different computer configurations. So they say: we don't support using a PC with our TV's and the problem is solved.

3. Mando-R

Mando-R Stunt Coordinator

What's the ideal resolution? And what do you mean by scan rate? You mean like refresh rate, or do you mean resolution?

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It's called C Y A. [​IMG]

Regards