What's new

Why can't you sell old DIVX movies on Ebay? (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I agree that DivX is in the process of becoming accepted as something more legitimate than what it started out as being. Just like MP3's became more "legitimate" with widespread use and popularity. Amazing how that works!
As to how fair or unfair the characterization is, suit yourself. I'm not trying to start any fights, and therefore this will be my last word on the subject. The key phrase in your statement is that "DivX is now a...".
And I certainly didn't know about the other FAQ. Thanks for listing it, so folks can see another point of view. That point of view obviously isn't held by eBay, though!

GaryEA

Second Unit
Well, I haven't gotten anywhere with Ebay. Their help system is an automated nightmare - maybe it's me and I'm not finding the right place to find a real live person and not an auto reply.
As for the perceived threat of ripping off buyers, my listing was very clear that these were both store bought items, still sealed, and that any bidder should reserach DIVX before bidding. Questions were welcome.
Where Ebay is pretty clear, and I thank everybody for their input. I'm either going to toss them or offer them to HT fan who want them as memorabilia.
Wow, this format's a pain in the ass. Can't even sell them off without a headache. :)
-g

SteveA

Supporting Actor
MAN I miss DIVX! ;) No late-fees and no dreaded black bars! A lot of movies were released exclusively to DIVX (such as Sleeping With The Enema) and are still unavailable on DVD.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I would ALMOST offer to take those Divx discs off your hands and hold onto them as a nostalgia item. But the missus (who's watching me type this!!) would kill me if I offerred to pay you shipping fees just to have more junk cluttering up the house! :D

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that DivX is in the process of becoming accepted as something more legitimate than what it started out as being. Just like MP3's became more "legitimate" with widespread use and popularity. Amazing how that works!
You guys are misrepresenting DivX ;)'s origins. It was originally a Microsoft Video compression codec based on the prelimenary specifications set out for MPEG-4. MS used this codec as the basis for the "Windows Media" formats.
to make a long story short, MS released a "MS-MPEG 4" codec (just like Indeo, cinepak, or MPEG-12, only better) and people started using it. Then MS decided that they didn't want people to use the more advanced version (V.3) of the codec, so they locked it and told people to stop using it as a standalone compressor, limiting it to their own WMV encoding software.
More than a few pros were slightly annoyed to see that work was now stored in a restricted format, so one of them decided to crack said format. Thus, DivX ;) was born. Nothing to do with piracy, everything to do with a hack of the bast video compression codec we've ever seen.
After enough people saw what MS-MPEG 4 and DivX ;) could do with video, (compressing 2 hours of high-res vid to 700MB) some of them realized they could use it to store and share things like TV shows, Movies, music videos, or their own work. Thus, DivX ;) became know as a piracy format.
DivXNetworks [nothing to do with DivX ;)] was formed to take advantage of the basic specs of MPEG-4 the same way MS did with WMV. The codec is completely different than DivX ;), but they decided to snatch up the name to steal the user base.
Is DivX (of any version) used for piracy? Absolutley. Is Mpeg-1 audio layer 3 used for piracy? Without a doubt. Does this make them "pirate" formats? In no way, shape, or form.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I miss that annoying TV pitch man that Circiut City used when they flooded the airwaves just after the the DIVX launch. He'd say things like "If your buying a DVD player, make sure it has DIVX...";)...Yeah right:rolleyes
Thank goodness that this misguided venture crashed and burned so quickly(although it was kinda fun to read Steve T.'s latest DIVX rants over at the DVD Resource site).

GaryEA

Second Unit
I would ALMOST offer to take those Divx discs off your hands and hold onto them as a nostalgia item. But the missus (who's watching me type this!!) would kill me if I offered to pay you shipping fees just to have more junk cluttering up the house!
David, if you'd like them just to add to your HT collection, I'll pay the shipping myself. Honest.
The only reason I was selling them was because I couldn't bear to throw them away if some HT enthusiast would find a use for it, even if to be a collectible. (I guess that makes me nuts, huh?)
Ebay is a bust on this and I believe that it has no live people working there, just computers. ...spooky.
Email me at [email protected] give me your address and I'll mail them next week parcel post.
LMK if you're interested - and don't tell the missus!
-g

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
USED DIVX discs were actually the most un-sellable items, since if you were to buy a used disc on Ebay you would then be charged by your player if you watched it! God, this was such a ridiculous invention! At least if they were still sealed and the system was still working, you could play it for 48 hours. (The movie "48 HRS" was one of the titles I chose for my DIVX collection BTW, I found it very appropriate. If I had unlimited money and space I would have bought one of every title like I'm doing with CED, but CEDs at least let me watch the movies but these don't ;) )

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Maybe I should make a DivX;-) disc out of my copy of the CC/Divx training video...naaah, not worth the time.

- Steve

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
USED DIVX discs were actually the most un-sellable items, since if you were to buy a used disc on Ebay you would then be charged by your player if you watched it!
If the disc was one of the rarer titles like Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure or Two For The Road, that might have been the only way you could get one.

RD

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I saw your email, Gary. Hmmm...that's what I need! Some new TG16 games and a TurboExpress. I shoulda thought of that for Father's Day. Darn it. Oh eBay.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks