Why can't you sell old DIVX movies on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryEA, Jun 13, 2002.

1. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Before everybody starts hurling tomatoes at me for bringing up the dreaded DIVX name, I really have a legit question. So... please hear me out, and THEN throw. [​IMG]
    I've had a small stack of DIVX movies that my uncle handed to me before he moved because he though I could use them. They're still sealed, and the CC stickers are still on. No bigie, right?
    So today, I put them up on Ebay. I've seen others there before and I thought, "What the hell?"
    Two hours later, I got this...

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Ebay is assuming that your DIVX DVD's are actually video ripped from regular DVD's compressed using the DiVX [​IMG] codec.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Let me go a bit deeper than Kyle did:
    There is a codec out there that is used by video pirates to encode video information into computer files. Those files can be stored on Hard Drives, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, Zip discs, Jaz discs, etc.
    In "honor", I guess you could say, of the Divx format that YOU are talking about, the hackers/pirates who invented the codec dubbed it "Divx", properly spelled "DivX;-)". It is very much in use all over the internet, much to the dismay of the copyright holders and the authorities, even though a broadband connection can still require literally hours to download some of the bigger files!
    So these days, it is assumed that when the word "Divx" is used, it means the pirate video files, not the now-defunct DVD-type pay-per-use disc format. Automatic parsers probably saw that, flagged it, and you were sent the cancel note. A human might not even have been involved!
    As far as the value of those sealed Divx discs, there is none. The discs are worthless because the players require hookup via telephone line to the Divx billing center in order to play those discs. That center is long since closed, dude. No Divx discs work anymore. Noone has successfully hacked a way into making them work, and I'm not sure anyone's too interested, honestly.
    They are good as museum pieces and that's about it. Find a nostalgia buff to take them off your hands in a private sale!
    Go here for more info about the current state of the Divx format and the uselessness fo the discs. A quote from that section is that "Divx discs are no longer playable in any players". Go here for more about the DivX;-) codec.

4. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

5. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

What a format!! [​IMG]
    One can only wonder if the rumors were true that Lucas was going to release P&S versions of the Star Wars OT to Divx in November 2000!
    (Don't laugh! The OT *is* available on the Fox-supported RCA Selectavision CED format!!)

6. Robert Dunnill

I doubt it, although BTTF 1 & 2 was slated for the fall of 1999, and a 16x9-enhanced version of Titanic was in the works, too.

Nothing unusual about a CED release of the original Star Wars; it also was released to VHS and laserdisc, and CED was a popular format at one time.

RD

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first time I've seen--*ugh!*--those ... letters ... in a thread title here at good ol', faithful HTF since way back when.
    Made the heart skip a beat. [​IMG]

8. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

Ebay unfairly assumed you were selling pirated movies. I'd be pretty insulted and pissed off if I were you. Damn, DIVX sure is dead when it's being mistaken by major companies as a different format entirely...

9. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Good timing. We're just four days away from the third anniversary of Divx's demise!

Adam

10. Robert Dunnill

Yes, that's too bad - I picked up some great Divx-related items on eBay last year, including a rare prototype JVC XV-DX1 player (only a dozen or so in existence). The seller of the player was even kind enough to provide free of charge a T-shirt, a cap, several pens, balloons, and a key fob.

11. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

Either way the person buying the discs would have gotten screwed since the discs are basically coasters now.

12. Robert Dunnill

If eBay required sellers of such discs to post an appropriate disclaimer, they'd have saved many buyers a lot of grief. I did a quick check on eBay, and there are still plenty of Divx discs up for auction.

RD

13. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Whaddaya mean they're "not playable"?? I have 15 DIVX discs that play just fine- put it in the player and you get a screen that says "You have attempted to play a Divx disc in a DVD player without the Divx feature. The Divx Feature is required to play this disc. For more information on Divx please call 1-800-456-DIVX." Only "Aquaria" is a more exciting disc than these! [​IMG]

15. David Lambert

Hey...I **LIKE** Aquaria!! [​IMG]

16. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

Just out of curiousity, what happens if you call that 1-800 # Jesse mentioned? It costs to call that number from Sweden, so I'm asking a Stateside poster to do so and report back. [​IMG]

17. David Lambert

"We're sorry. The call cannot be completed as dialed. Please check the number, and try your call again."
    [​IMG]

18. KlausWinkler

KlausWinkler Agent

>If eBay required sellers of such discs to post an >appropriate disclaimer, they'd have saved many buyers a >lot of grief. I did a quick check on eBay, and there are >still plenty of Divx discs up for auction.

I guess anyone trying to buy a Divx-Copy deserves what he gets...

19. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor