Why can't they get it right FIRST TIME!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DannyS, Aug 25, 2001.

1. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

12 monkeys ultimate, The matrix revisted, Wonka, Terminator, Mummy, and on.
    We are being suckered by these studios. Grrrr...
    Just get it right first time..
    (oh! of course, that doesn't make them any money does it! DOH!!!)
    I am so dull! :)
    Please bring out loads of releases of the same films, just ask George Lucas! He da man!
    ------------------
    Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
    Sony DVP 536
    Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I agree, but sometimes a re-release is warented, like Scarface that film is in dire need of a re-release, but overall, I completly know where your coming from. Just look at what Universal has done with American Pie and The Mummy, their wasn't a thing wrong with the initial dvd releases of these films, but figured they could cash in on their sequels just opening in theaters! Sickening!
    But one of the worst examples is Nutty Professor II they just released a new "unrated" version, less than 6 months after the theatrical version, when they just as easily could have released both at the same time like they did with American Pie, the original dvd releases I mean, with both theatrical and unrated versions available separatly.
    This a vile and greedy practice that needs to stop, but it's not likely to as long as their making $$$, so all we can do is just roll with it I guess.
    ------------------
    So madly in love with Estella Warren!

3. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

It doesn't hurt as much when you can get The Mummy:UE at K-Mart for 10 bucks either.... [​IMG]
    I'd like to see Universal put the UE's back into the Mummy style packaging. The new cases with American Pie and Patch Adams definately leave something to be desired. This could be why I don't own them. Or is it the fact that I've already got Patch Adams and don't have the interest in American Pie.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

4. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

"Alice, I've noticed a disturbing trend. It seems that every time you solve a problem, the right solution is always the LAST thing you try! I think you'd better work on that."

5. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

DannyS,
    The Matrix Revisited does NOT contain the feature film or any of the supplements from the original Matrix DVD. Instead, like Behind The Planet of The Apes from Image Entertainment, this is a added-value material only disc. Sort of like an add-on pack for games like Diablo II and Half-Life.
    Also, many consumers have asked Universal to combine the dts soundtrack with the added-value material for 12 Monkeys. Afterall, 12 Monkeys dts sells for around $29.99 while the Collector's Edition goes for $24.99. And sure you could get 12 Monkeys in a special two pack with The Jackel for around $24.99(in most stores). But now, with the DVD re-release of Monty Python and The Holy Grail & new to DVD release of Jabberwocky, Universal can finally give consumers what they want. A one time purchase with both dts and Dolby Digital soundtracks on one disc.
    And some distributors may never "get it right" the first time. Some filmmakers okay a release to DVD but do not have time to work on added-value material(Almost Famous is one of these). Later these filmmakers may want to create supplements for their films and so another DVD is released.
    ------------------

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Somtimes when the movie switeches hands (like the Terminator) the new studio might own rights to materials that the previous studio didn't. Or since technology is better, they can do more to the transfer this time.
    And for all the complaining about Lucas who is supposedly milking us with multiple versions (when in reality it's multiple platforms -VHS, LD or DVD) why aren't we griping about Anchor Bay? In the last 2 years they've released 3 versions of Halloween. The limited ediition, the theatrcial cut alone and now the TV cut which was the 2nd disc of the Limited Edition. They even added a film cel to the TV cut. Now there's stoking fans (although I'm satisified with the Limited set, some have bought all three for the different artwork).

7. Nigel P

Nigel P Stunt Coordinator

Nigel
    Don't get me started on this one. If you are a true fan of a film then you will buy it as soon as its out on DVD. When this gets replaced by an ultimate limited collecters directors cut edition 6 months later they know that the real fans of the film will want the best version and so they are on a winner. I can accept it on some of the old titles but newer titles no thanks I generally keep the first version I bought.

8. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

9. YANG

YANG Second Unit

OH...guys...
    Don't you understand that this is a marketing strategy that studios are practicing to keep money rolling in???

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Solution: Only buy one version of the movie and be satistified with that. I mean, if you keep running out to buy the new version, then you have no reason to complain... you're the reason the studio does it.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

11. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

I just feel lucky that the studios are listening to us.Having to buy two Dvd versions of a film can be frustrating,but the older versions sell real well if you want to get rid of them.

12. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

While it pains me to see Universal revisiting what are already superb CE releases, they're not asking you to re-buy the new UE version. I mean, I looked at the situation with the Mummy, the UE was tempting, then I thought, it's The Mummy, how much am I going to get out of additional extras and DTS for that thing? The answer, in my case, was not much, so the old DD CE still sits proudly on the shelf.
    NOW, from Universal's point of view, I can see why they may do these sets, because, doing say, The Mummy or Patch Adams, movies with both had widescreen and p&s releases at the same time (and a 3rd seperate dts release in Patch's case), thats double the discs to produce, double the boxes, double the artwork and what have you. So, if they're trying to save themselves a few bucks by chucking it all onto one release, then fine whatever, they can do what they want, but they'd need to update the release in some incredible way for me to take interest. I don't know if they actually expect owners of the existing releases to buy the UEs, I think they're just trying to provide an all in one choice for future buyers.
    I dont think it's right to highlight Wonka and Terminator as discs to complain about in this situation. There's lots of things that come into play that mean some titles just cant be done right first time round, but at least with Wonka and Terminator its not a situation of them expanding upon existing SEs. Better in these cases to get an SE of a movie thats deserving eventually rather than not at all.
    Dan (UK)