What's new

Why can't I use DVI/HDMI input for my PC? (1 Viewer)

jhazen

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I was recently researching HDTVs, and one of my requirements (or at least desires) was to use the new TV as a monitor for my computer.

Most new HDTVs have a VGA/XGA input, but I found that very few of them will support the full native (1080p) resolution of the TV. I bought a Samsung DLP set, because it was one of the few that did.

Since I've already bought a set, this is more a matter of curiosity, but I was thinking I might be able to get around the PC input limitations by using a DVI to HDMI converter cable. But in the manuals for all the sets I looked at, it says "Do not connect a PC to the HDMI inputs."

I guessing it's due to some image processing that they have automatically turned off for the PC input, but they don't give any reasons.

Anyone know the actual reason why I can't?

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Only guessing here, but maybe they are afraid that people are running too high a resolution, which could damage the TV? Generally, I don't see exactly why you shouldn't be able to do that... I've done it with mine without any issues (at 720p).

-Christian

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Perhaps it's because DVI supports resolutions the TV doesn't. They may just be trying to keep people from sending a 1280×1024 75 Hz signal to the TV, which wouldn't be able to deal with it. Probably the TV will only accept 1080i30, 720p60, the common TV resolutions, and you can put out lot of different resolutions and refresh rates from the PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks