What's new

Why can't I ship myself again....? (1 Viewer)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I have a friend in NY that I would like to go visit, but I don't wanna spend the money.

Is it really that bad to ship yourself FedEx or something? I mean, that guy a couple years back did it and would have gotten away with it had he stayed in the box til the dlievery driver left, right?

Is there a cheaper way. Not one for hitch-hiking....

DougR

Second Unit
You could see if there is a way to "Attach" yourself to an "E-Mail' sent to your friend?
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I worked at a UPS warehouse in the bulk packages section. I wouldn't ship my worse enemy.

--

H

CRyan

Screenwriter
Wait till the winter. Those trucks can get up to 150 degrees in the sun.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
My tie once got stuck in a fax machine. Next thing I knew, I was in Los Angeles.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
If your going to attempt the "email yourself" route, make sure it's with a high-speed connection, because trying that with dial-up would be, well, let's face it, that would be just silly now wouldn't it?

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Well, I am about 153lbs. so maybe they'll let me slide.

I won't go UPS. Probably just stick with Fedex.

Maybe the fall would be the best time. Not too hot or cold.

I mean, I am planning on totally being prepard so it's not like I am just gonna go in naked. Plus I have my mp3 player too!

The thing I am worried about the most is if my firend isn't there to sign for me, if I'll go back to the transfer station til the next "delivery attempt". I guess I could do "no signature required" but I think with "Priority Overnite", you have to...

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I will review the Darwin Awards site this Fall to keep abreast of your adventure...

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i say go for it. it's a win win situation in my view. if you make it, you've saved yourself the airline fare. if you die in the process, you've thinned the shallow end of the gene pool even more.

kevin t

DougR

Second Unit
Kevin T said:
i say go for it. it's a win win situation in my view. if you make it, you've saved yourself the airline fare. if you die in the process, you've thinned the shallow end of the gene pool even more.
kevin t
and he's already in a Box..........just have to Dig the Hole !

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
"you've thinned the shallow end of the gene pool even more"

Gee thanks kevin for the kind words.

Of course guys I am just tossing the thing out for discussion and wouldn't dream of it.

It's more of like a "why the hell not"? I mean really what would be the big deal?

Maybe if people did start doing it "enmass" then airprices would fall?

I don't know, but at least "Inspector Hammer" laughed and so my thread was worth it!

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Seriously, you'd probably be OK if you were shipped on the ground. While it's true that the trucks can get very hot or very cold, you can probably survive it. There's also the point that not all packages will be treated delicately, and I suspect that you will get caught when somebody mishandles the box you are in (it will be difficult for you to keep quite when this happens).

But then you are talking days in a box, and at that point I'm guessing that a bus appears far more attractive (and possibly cheaper).

When planes get involved, however, you should know that much of the cargo travels in unpressurized cargo holds. I'm not sure what FedEx's policy is on this, but I certainly wouldn't trust my life to it. It can also get mighty cold. Many people have died trying to stow away in wheel wells, and what you are suggesting isn't significantly different (from a temperature, oxygen, and pressure point of view).

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
I should also point out that the shippers don't like shipping packages that jiggle too much, so you'd either have to pack your self tight so that you couldn't move much, or risk them re-packing you at which point you get caught. Restricting your movement for long periods of time is not only uncomfortable, but also has a significant risk of blood clots and stroke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks