Why can't I see any major difference between a prog.scan picture and a regular feed?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by SandeepS, Nov 16, 2003.

1. SandeepS

SandeepS Extra

Howdy

Just replaced my Hitachi 51s500 with a 57" TV and also bought a JVC Prog.Scan DVD/VCR player. The replacement wasn't a faulty issue either.........loved the 51" totally but finally decided I could squeeze in a 57" and after getting a good deal from Sears (just had to pay a differece of $25!), I went for the swap.

Anyway, I bought some component cables as well and hooked up the DVD player to the component inputs. Put in 'T3-Rise of Machines DVD' and expected to be blown away by the prog scan picture BUT I hardly noticed any difference compared to a composite feed (which I had before)!

Now the regular (non-prog scan) picture is actually awesome in its own rights on the 57S500 (after I use the VirtualHD button) but I don't see much of a difference (like most people claim) using componenets either.

Am I doing something wrong in my hookups or what? The components cost me around $30 so if I don't see any noticable difference, I could probably return it and buy a DVD or something!

Any suggestions

Thanks

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    There should be a significant difference between "composite" and "component at 480p". Or do you mean there was little difference between regular component (480i) and progressive component (480p)?

When I was comparing the differences on my setup, I noticed that the interlaced (480i) had shimmer to subtitles, and interaction/shimmer in checkerboard pattern, parallel lines that are close together that disappeared when I switched to progressive. Mind you, that was on a 96" setup.

Are you able to quickly switch from one format to the other for easy A-B comparisons?

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

On my DVD player there is a tiny switch on the back panel that enables progressive scan. Maybe yours has this too?

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The JVC progressive scan units for the current year just are not very good. These things output resolution at about 450 lines ... 90 lines less than the spec ...

Find another machine to make your comparison. Pioneer? Denon? Sony higher end?

Regards

6. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

Don't know the specs on your old monitor. Did it already have a deinterlacer built in? It could've been converting all of your 480i images to 480p without you realizing it.

I recently got a Panny 53wx53 and upgraded to a progressive player at the same time. I made the mistake of getting a fairly weak Sony player, so even though the doubler in my TV isn't the greatest, I would've gotten close to the same performance if I stuck with my old Pioneer interlaced player and let the TV convert everything.

7. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Michael,