Why can't I get UPN & WB under NRTC/DirecTV programming?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles S, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Charles S

Charles S Agent

I have a question, that I've been searching for the answer to for a long time now, and just realized that if anyone will know, it will be someone here!
    I have DirecTV programming, however I don't go through the standard DirecTV offices, I'm in an extremely rural area of the country (by choice) and receive and pay my bills through a "local provider" of DirecTV!
    I'm in a location where we have no "local channels" that can be received with an outdoor antenna, so I am able to get the out of market feeds of the networks..NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS and FOX...I also get both the New York and LA feeds of these networks, which I really enjoy since NYC is an hour ahead and I sometimes don't catch the 7pm showing (my time) of some of the shows!
    Anyways, my question is, why am I not being offered WB or UPN as part of the out of market package?
    I know at least NYC has both a UPN and WB affiliate, and I know that a new law kicked in a month ago stating that DirecTV MUST carry all local channels in cities where they offer local channels....so shouldn't I, in theory, now have the option of receiving UPN and WB since I'm getting all the other NYC networks?
    I've called my local provider, but frankly, they're morons! They don't have a clue as to what's going on most of the time! They're too busy crying about the DISH netowrk merger thing to worry about actually providing their customers with information!
    And now they are pushing for us to receive the Minneapolis local channel package...like the federal government is going to make some grand exception for a county with a year round population of 5000 people! Minneapolis is NOT and would not be our local channel package, Duluth in theory would be, however even Duluth cannot be considered "local" becuase of the distance (120 miles away) and of course, DirecTV will probably never carry Duluth on their local channel lineup anyways! (Besides, I dont want Duluth channels because no UPN or WB and no FOX... and I certainly dont want Minneapolis, that's just as "out of market" as NYC is IMO, its 300 miles awy for crying out loud)
    I'm extremely happy with the NYC and LA feeds of the networks, but why are they not offering UPN or WB? I suspect NRTC is stalling on this issue for a reason, since my local provder stalls everytime they are asked about UPN and WB!
    Does anyone know what the deal is on this? I know there has to be at least a few people here who are going through this same thing...(no Star Trek Enterprise, no Buffy, no Smackdown etc)
    Why am I "allowed" to receive the big 4 out of NYC and LA but am denied UPN and WB? I know DISH network offers UPN and WB in a "superpack"...and I've considered switching to DISH because of it....but I stil like DirecTV for many reasons....
    Anyways, I hope this isn't too drawn out, I just wanted to be as accurate as possible in my question! So, does anyone have an answer why NRTC/local providers of DirecTV refuse to carry UPN and WB?

2. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

Very drawn out question but in a nutshell - WB and UPN don't want to pay the provider to carry them. They are ONLY cable stations.

3. Charles S

Charles S Agent

Hmmm...I was under the assumption that UPN and WB were actual networks like "the big 4"....
    I thought for sure it was possible to pick them up in major cities tha have them with outdoor antennas...
    Guess i should keep up with this stuff a little better...lol!
    Thanks for the info...I guess I'm out of luck then!
    Unless of course I switch to DISH network that is!

4. CamiloCamacho

CamiloCamacho Stunt Coordinator

No SmackDown?. That´s why satellite only have 20% of the market [​IMG]