Why can't I get on the internet?

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I just set up my wireless at home. It works fine for my desktop computer (using a netgear wireless adapter) yet my HP laptop isn't.
It is actually connecting with the wireless but when I go to open a website or log on to messenger, it says I'm not connected.

I think that the settings for my network may be messed up (I had a friend take a look at it) but I have no way of knowing what's wrong.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
There are too many potential problem sources to easily pin down, just that it doesn't work could be a dozen things.

If your wireless serves IP's via DHCP, you need to set your laptop network up to get its IP automatically. That should do the trick to get you an IP at least, assuming the wireless works.

You could have a wireless router that is wireless-g only and the laptop could be older and have wireless-b only.

Your laptop could have a broken wireless transceiver that only looks like it works.

Your laptop could have a damaged Windows installation with broken network components.

There are just so many things that could be the matter... hard to pinpoint anything.

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Richard,

Are you using Norton Internet Suite as your antivirus, etc?

Open a command prompt window (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt). Try to ping your router, then your modem, then an address (e.g. www .yahoo.com). If you can successfully ping all mentioned the laptop's firewall is blocking the conection...

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan