Why can't "Friends" style packagin be like Buffy/Angel...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Kyle McKnight, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I hate how there are four areas for you to lift the disc from, but the two on the bottom have plastic tabs in front of them. It's much easier to remove the discs from the Buffy/Angel packages. I know they're different studios, I just don't see what the point is of leaving the plastic there blocking where you can lift the disc from.

2. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Harry Potter and Punch-Drunk Love have the same problem. A little ridiculous, isn't it? Going through the trouble of putting a groove and then blocking it with tabs.

3. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Not familiar with the Friends packaging, but I would NOT vote for Digipacks a la Buffy. Too many discs fall off the hubs during shipping and are scratched right out of the box.

Thinpacks, or DS9 style... that's the way to go, IMO.

-Scott

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I agree with Scott. The Buffy hubs are too easy to remove discs from so discs tend to just fall out.

5. StephanieC

StephanieC Stunt Coordinator

I love the how they packaged the disc in CSI: Season One. All season should be like that, digipacks are way too prone with the falling out.

6. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Second Unit

can someone include a picture? I'm interested to see what you're talking about. [​IMG]

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I like the thin packs. Easy to take out of the box, and you don't have to clear a 3 foot space on the coffee table in order to get the disk you want. I have to many times had the whole thing flip out of my hands while trying to (I admit stupidly) balance the whole thing on my arm and end up holding one flap while the rest hang down to the ground like a bizarre tapestry.

The thin cases like "Family guy" and "homicide" are easier, more attractive, and better suited for listing episode information.

Then again, I don't want to think of the threads that would pop up about sets not matching previous releases if Buffy and the X-Files switched to a different design half way through the season releases.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

9. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    The problem is that there are four grooves around the disc with which you can slide you fingers under the rim of the disc while pushing down on the hub. On these cases the bottom two have tabs whic prevent your fingers from sliding under the rim. So, on some of them the hubs hold the discs so well you have trouble getting the discs out without the fear of snapping the disc in two, and you can apply pressure to the opposite side of the disc to get it out.