What's new

Why can't "Friends" style packagin be like Buffy/Angel... (1 Viewer)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I hate how there are four areas for you to lift the disc from, but the two on the bottom have plastic tabs in front of them. It's much easier to remove the discs from the Buffy/Angel packages. I know they're different studios, I just don't see what the point is of leaving the plastic there blocking where you can lift the disc from.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Harry Potter and Punch-Drunk Love have the same problem. A little ridiculous, isn't it? Going through the trouble of putting a groove and then blocking it with tabs.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Not familiar with the Friends packaging, but I would NOT vote for Digipacks a la Buffy. Too many discs fall off the hubs during shipping and are scratched right out of the box.

Thinpacks, or DS9 style... that's the way to go, IMO.

-Scott

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Scott. The Buffy hubs are too easy to remove discs from so discs tend to just fall out.

StephanieC

Stunt Coordinator
I love the how they packaged the disc in CSI: Season One. All season should be like that, digipacks are way too prone with the falling out.

Joel C

Screenwriter
I like the way other Warner shows like Babylon 5 and La Femme Nikita are packaged, a "book" with plastic "pages" (trays that holds the discs. Classy and durable.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I like the thin packs. Easy to take out of the box, and you don't have to clear a 3 foot space on the coffee table in order to get the disk you want. I have to many times had the whole thing flip out of my hands while trying to (I admit stupidly) balance the whole thing on my arm and end up holding one flap while the rest hang down to the ground like a bizarre tapestry.

The thin cases like "Family guy" and "homicide" are easier, more attractive, and better suited for listing episode information.

Then again, I don't want to think of the threads that would pop up about sets not matching previous releases if Buffy and the X-Files switched to a different design half way through the season releases.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The problem is that there are four grooves around the disc with which you can slide you fingers under the rim of the disc while pushing down on the hub. On these cases the bottom two have tabs whic prevent your fingers from sliding under the rim. So, on some of them the hubs hold the discs so well you have trouble getting the discs out without the fear of snapping the disc in two, and you can apply pressure to the opposite side of the disc to get it out.

Joel C

Screenwriter
You guys are sort of kidding when you talk about how hard it is to get discs out of these types of cases and the alpha cases, right?

Er... right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks