What's new

Why can't anyone do a good job anymore? (RANT) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Actually, it was not really 4 years late, it was always known it would open right around when it did. It was 7 billion (and counting) over budget and yes, sadly, it was fatal last week. Boston, construction and corruption, who'd a thunk it. I see some jail terms in the future, which is exactly what should happen. The time for laughing at dumptrucks leased for $50,000/month standing idle in a parking lot is over.

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
Well we'll see if they turn up on Thursday to properly clean and caulk the windows. I left a message about the awning and they haven't returned it. Hopefully I'll have 3 estimates on fixing the awning before the end of the week. One place said it sounded like the handymen busted the seal on it causing the water to pour out behind the siding. I fully intend to bill the handyman company for the repairs to the awning.

And ya I do the DIY thing, when I think I can handle it. Since I can't handle my 20 foot ladder, which doesn't even reach the second story windows, then I don't think I'll be caulking those windows. Or cleaning my gutters or re-roofing. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
My sympathies, Theresa, that does really suck that your having this much trouble, but if I may, if your knowledgable about this sort of thing, i'd recommend renting a cherry picker to reach those windows and DIY.

Although that's probably neither here nor there at this point.

And here I was pissed because I can't seem to order a pizza without the person taking my order having nothing but contempt for me and their job.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I work in Semiconductor Manufacturing. So, on a typical day, not only am I maintenance boy, but also mentor (since I am in charge), I also get to be process development guy, and the past two weeks- instructor for employees manning a new fab in Utah in the fall.
So, I have to use both brains and brawn, a LOT.;) I enjoy a good rep in the biz, too, so I get paid accordingly. My life could be worse.

Perhaps I was a little harsh, but your post came off as ivory tower BS. I'm frustrated though by what I increasingly see- people with fewer and fewer actual physical skills, but no shortage of criticism for those who can actually do the work. I'll take on any job- except VCR repair. I am inept in this regard.:D

Theresa- can't blame you for not wanting to mess with the gutters, etc. I fixed a couple of leaks on my roof last fall, and parts of the roof are 12/12 pitch (a full 45*). I was flat scared, and nearly slid off once (two full stories up). I won't be reroofing- I'll defer to someone with Spidey-like abilities.;)

Todd

(And many people have actually told me that I work them too hard- but I always work right alongside.)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
No problem...

I don't discriminate...if you're lazy, I could care less if you do physical labor or sit behind a desk all day. I am very respectful for those who do physical labor. I just don't have respect for those who do a lousy job...and it always seems that I'm running into that type of person.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Call me old fashioned, and i'm not even from that era and I don't drive, but I liked the idea of a whole team of guys running out to service my car when I pull into a gas station, like back in the 50's.

It's things like that that were slowly stripped away until finally people reached the mindset of "do just enough to get by and get paid", people were more eager to please others back then, now, they just don't care as much I don't think.

Kudos, though, to the one's who do care and do do a good job at whatever job they do. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Someone beat me to the BIG DIG. I live south of boston and it has been a Nightmare since day one. Now the fact that people are afraid to dive in a tunnel is just nuts. Buddies of mine who own a Limo comapany are taking a hit beacouse thay have to drive all over hell creation to get to logan now.

Ok Back to the topic. I was called over to a customers house to fix a problem with thier Home theater ( someone else from another company did the install ) Talk about a Cluster%$^&. who ever did this just got in there slappedit together and left. I told the guy flat out " IF I did installs like this we would be out of business"

and yes i take pride in my work I will not leave a job site until its done and done right.

Thomas Reagan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas

It may be open, but try driving it after 11PM at night and see if you still think it is finished. Damn, here comes my cynical side again. ;)

Favorite Big Dig Joke: New starting line for the head of the Charles Regatta (annual Charles River crew racing competition): The Dewey Square Tunnel.

Thos.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Mine was that the sun appears to have a lifespan of 300 billion more years. That means the Big Dig will have to be finished in the dark.

Anyways, I've driven it after 11PM, it's been fine and no one can really complain that the improvements in getting through the city and to the airport are amazing compared to before. Of course, all that is down the drain now, but corruption and politics as usual are to blame for this, not the concept of the project.

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
quote: i'd recommend renting a cherry picker to reach those windows and DIY.

That is so brilliant!! I wonder if I could one past the fence gate into the back yard? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
You guys remember that scene in The Shawshank Redemption when Brooks was working at 'The Food Way' and that woman complained that he didn't double-bag and all her stuff fell out, then his boss told him "Make sure you double-bag like the lady said!"?

Well that's how it used to be, the way it should be, the customer is always right.

Now, though, he would have still told Brooks to double-bag, but then he would have pulled him aside later and said "Oh, that's Mrs. Jones, she's a little crazy, you don't need to double-bag, just tell her you did to shut her up and get her out of here ha ha."

Sad.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
or they would have said "Oh, double-bagging now costs $1" ;)

p.s. Why does "double-bagging" sound so dirty? :D Would I want to pay $1 for a 'double-bag'? :laugh:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Thanks, and your very welcome. ;)

The way things are now days, you can look at Michael Douglas' character in Falling Down and go "Yeah, I can see that."

Mark, I think the reason "double-bag" sounds dirty is because it almost sounds like another explicit sexual term with the word 'bag' in it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Only if the customer is also the way they used to be: friendly, moderately intelligent, and reasonable. Today, people are such rude a**holes, out to screw the merchants at every opportunity so they can get something for nothing. Modern customers are most definitely NOT always right.

Note...This is not referring to Theresa's situation, in which she is completely in the right. :) But having worked a little part-time retail for the past three years, I have dealt with too many complete dumbasses who think I'm supposed to cave in to their every wish and whim, smile and bend over simply because they're the "customer."

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I live these posts all most everyday.
I always try to give 100% to whatever job I'm doing, some days better than others.

I was raised with the idea that there's no shame in a honest day's of work.

If you shovel horse sh*t for a living, make sure you're the best horse sh*t shoveler around (try saying that 3 times).

What gets me vexxed are the people who do a half ass job and are always the first ones to complain .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks