Why buy new pre/amps???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoeyT, Aug 22, 2002.

1. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

When you can buy demo with fully warranty, used products like Bryston, Classe,(etc...) and have the balance of a 20 an 5 year warranty respectively.
    Aside from warranty, most high quality separates can be repaired without much cost (relative to purchase price).
    Processors are another story if you want the latest software and 29.6 processing[​IMG]
    I am still debating used speakers.
    Well, what do you guys think? Value or New Box smell?[​IMG]

2. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Sometimes, you can get new for used prices. You just gotta know where to look. [​IMG] In general though, I'd have no problem buying used Brystons because they have that fabulous 20 yr transferrable warranty and their customer service is unsurpassed. With Classe, you take your chances. Not that Classe doesn't make fine products, their reputation for customer service has not exactly been stellar if you've read any of the posts here and on avsforum. As usual, YMMV.

3. JoeyT

JoeyT Stunt Coordinator

New (shopping around the net etc...)for avg retail used maybe.
    New (shopping-around the net etc...) for used (shopping around the net etc...) not even close. [​IMG]
    As for the Bryston. You are dead on. However, Classe service is tops in my book (and yes I speak from personal experience).
    But, there are other great deals out there that are worth considering. Any other experiences? I know I am not alone in looking for upgrade options/possibilities when that upgrade itch comes agian (and it will).[​IMG]
    Cheers!

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Why buy when you can build it yourself? Some of the preamp kits available are so simple that anyone who knows which end of a soldering iron gets hot can build them. You don't even need any prior soldering experience, you just need to know which end to hold. And you get much better quality for the money you spend than you'd get even buying used.