What's new

Why buy Mit. VS-45607 instead of Sony 43T75? (1 Viewer)

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
I've been researching a rear-projection for about 2 months and I've pretty much decided on the Sony. My budget is about %1500 and I don't want a 36in. tube because we'll be 14feet away in bed. Is there an advantage of the Mitsubishi that I might not think of?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Rob
------------------
Onkyo 595
Energy Encores
TV: TBA
DVD: TBA

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the same boat right now. I also saw that Sony has a 43T90 model. Not sure if there's much difference, may just be a newer model.
Let me know what u decide on.
Joe
------------------

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The Sony requires a stand, the Mits doesn't. The Sony has "flash-focus" self-convergence but requires you to go into the service menu to do a comprehensive manual convergence which can then be "saved" so the flash focus will bring it back.
The Mits has no self-convergence, but allows a 64 point manual convergence in the user menu.
They're both very nice sets at a good price.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
quote:The Sony requires a stand, the Mits doesn't
Believe me, the Mits needs a stand. Unless you plan on sitting on the floor, or on cushions placed on the floor. it's way too low. That's why there is a matching "optional" Mits stand for $299. There's hardly anything optional about it, unless you already own a stand.

Michael Ferrari

Auditioning
Carlo,
You're probably thinking about the Mits WT-46807, which is their 16:9 set and does require some type of stand to raise it to the correct height. The VS-45607 that Rob is looking at is a 4:3 set that does not need a stand.
Mike
------------------
"So why don't you put her in charge?" - Hudson

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
I took a look at Mits lower-end 45 inch (45607) that would compare pricewise with the Sony. It's at $1499 retail at the shop near me. I think the Sony wins in one big area: much less noticable scanlines. The Sony truly looks great from 4 feet away, but not the Mits. The tv will be in a wall in our bedroom and we'll be getting close to it as we're getting ready in the morning, etc. I want it to look decent even up close, so I think the Sony's right for us.
If you have any other thoughts let me know. We're still a month or so from buying.
Also, Joe, where did you see info on the new Sony 43T90? I'd be interested in what changes it has. Thanks.
Thanks all,
Rob
------------------
Onkyo 595
Energy Encores
DVD: TBA

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Michael,
You were right, I was thinking of the widescreen set.
Rob,
Speaking of which, if you're budget is $1500, can't it possibly be stretched a few hundred more? At $1900 you're looking at HD-Ready 16x9 sets, or are you set on 4x3?

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Carlo,
My wife and I are set on 4:3 over 16:9. We primarily watch cable tv. I did just buy a DVD player so we may get into renting DVD's. But we won't be spending the extra money on an HD-converter or a dish.
My big concern with a 16:9 rear-projection was burn-in on the side bars as we watch 4:3 tv signals. Also, when I looked into the Toshiba 40H80 widescreen I discovered that it has something like a third the screen area (and that's before putting up side bars for 4:3 viewing. That's just not large enough from 14 feet away.
There is one 43 in. HDTV-ready 4:3 set (Toshiba or Hitachi?). Does anyone know about that one?? If it's HDTV-ready then its DVD picture would be of a higher quality than the Sony (I believe). But would it have less noticable scan lines from 5 feet on standard cable signal or VCR tapes?
Thanks again,
Rob
------------------
Onkyo 595
Energy Encores
DVD: Panasonic RV-31

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Rob,
Most HD-ready sets I've seen just don't hack cable very well. Their internal line doublers are good quality, but cable is just so crappy that there's not much these sets can do about it. In fact, I've found standard NTSC TVs sometimes do a better job at hiding the flaws in cable because of their limited resolution. HD sets just bring out all the warts in cable.
BTW, your justification for a 4:3 set makes sense. You've made the right choice. Wish I could help out more but I've pretty much just kept up on 16x9 sets since I'll be buying one next month.

Harold A

Stunt Coordinator
Rob,
Both Toshiba and Hitachi have 43" HD ready RPTVs. The Toashiba is the 43H70 or 43HX70. The Hitachi is the 43fdx01 I believe. There are some differences between the two. The Toshiba will do vertical squeeze on 1080i material while the Hitachi does not. What this means is that for HDTV viewing of 1080i material you are not going to get the full resolution on the Hitachi. Neither set does veritcal compression for anamoprhic DVDs. The Hitachi has a squeeze mode but it is not a true vertical compression. Between the two I would choose the Toshiba. I think it is a little better set. Toshiba also has a non-hd ready version of this set the 43a60 I think. I would probably choose it over the others in its class.
Harold

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
Harold, what are the disadvantages (other than a few hundred bucks) of the Toshiba over the Sony? Will it look as clear as the Sony from 5 feet away (with a non-HD signal)?
Thanks,
Rob
------------------
Onkyo 595
Energy Encores
DVD: Panasonic RV-31

Harold A

Stunt Coordinator
Rob,
If you are comparing the Tosh HD set vs the sony non-hd set then it is relative. With the Sony you will be able to see scan lines. I am have not looked that closely at the Sony but would Imagine that you would be able to notice the scan lines from about 8-10ft away. With the Tosh the scan lines will be gone because it upconverts all incoming signals to 480p it has a built in line doubler. This is a double edges sword though. You get rid of scan lines but introduce artifacts into the picture. Think of it this way if you send a crappy signal in you are doubling crap. I also think that the line doubler can sometimes give an artifical look to some images. You would have to goto a local store and watch some broadcast tv on the sets to decide if the line doubler is for you. I don't seem to mind it that much, I would rather not look at scan lines. So to answer your question of will it look as clear is tricky. I think if you have a good strong singal going to it the Tosh will look better.
I think that if you are going to spend over $1000 on a TV that you want to keep for a few years go with the HD-Ready set. That way you can upgrade to HD when it is available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks