Why buy HDTV now?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnMM, Aug 15, 2001.

1. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

I need your help. I really want to buy a big-screen, but am petrified that it will be rendered obsolete quickly by the dvi/firewire issues. (I am aware of the Mitsubishi promise module, but don't really want to buy into that.)
    I am beginning to feel like I should settle for buying a cheap 36" analog set and riding out the storm for a couple years.
    Please talk me out of this!!!

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

That is a tough one to address...First keep in mind that the copyright protection issues will not effect over the air broadcast HD..In your area there is quite a bit of OTA HD programming you would miss out on...Also the copy right issue will not effect movie channels like HBO HD and Showtime HD..Mainly it is for some first time movie runs on HD PPV and other HD PPV events that is the issue...I truly believe it may be years before this is finally sorted out and that is an a lot of HD you will be missing out on..The Mits guarantee is actually a great safety net if the copy right issues are ever resolved...
    ------------------

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    2 words: Progressive Scan.
    Irrespective of HD broadcast or sat, most HD sets will take 480p and give you a great picture. There are quite a few decently priced prog. DVD players out there right now.
    I just went with a 32" WEGA, and I am riding it out also...
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Mike - Then I take it that you're recommending getting an OTA Set top box (STB) - rather then one for a dish?
    I've been looking into this too, and STB's are not cheap, but if I were to get one for a dish, my options would be limited. If I understand this whole HD thing correctly, (and please let me know if I am wrong here), all of the local stations will/are/have 2 channel numbers, and the new ones, which are mostly UHF, will be HD, but if I don't have an HD TV, I can still pick them up on a standard set using the new UHF channel number.
    This would allow me to record multiple channels at the same time if needed (Fall TV season). They would all be low-res, but that's ok.
    Glenn

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Most of the STB's on the market except for the samsung are both HD decoders and dish receivers...The Dish 6000 which has the most versatility of the STB's on the market does require sat hook up in order for the 8 vsb modole to be able to receive the ota broadcasts..Most to the Hughes stabs' do not require sat hook up to get the OTA broadcasts...In either case as I mentioned before the current satellite broadcasts like HBO HD and Showtime HD will not be effected by the copyright issues..It is primarily for the first run HD PPV events that may be effected if and when the issue is ever ironed out..
    Also if you do not currently have an HD ready set, any of the STB's on the market will pick up the digital channels and convert them to 480i for a non HD ready set to receive...
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike I on August 16, 2001 at 10:55 AM]