Why buy DVD when HD-DVD isn't that far away?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Russell, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Mike Russell

Mike Russell Agent

With the announcement of D-VHS i am feeling a little concerned about continuing my DVD collection. I currently have aprox. 200 dvd's. That is a considerable monetary investment. I know many of you have collections that seriously dwarf mine. As time goes on more and more of us will be buying HDTV's. HD-DVD is only a few years away, if that. Why should i contiue to buy all the new titles that come out, when eventually the studios will be re-releasing these titles in HD-DVD? There is no way that i will adopting D-VHS. It totally negates what makes DVD so cool. Random access, and all the cool extras. Collecting only the more obscure titles and passing on the big name releases seems the more logical course, given that many of these lesser known titles will most likely not be released on HD-DVD. I realize that the studios have a considerable amount of money invested in the current dvd market. They aren't just going to dump the current format for a superior one. My concern is that if i am going to buy a movie, i want the best version available. I have been burned a few times by buying one version of a movie only to have a SE come out a few months later. I have learned my lesson on that one. Do your homework, and be patient.

Another growing concern of mine is DVD rot. This seems to be less of a rumor, and more of a legitimate phenomenon. When a DVD that played fine a year ago will not play on multiple different players, something is seriously wrong. I doubt that the studios will offer to replace these dvd's if rot becomes a more of a prominent issue. Many of us may wind up with a few hundred 120mm frisbees. We all want to spend our money wisely. What do we do?

2. RobR

RobR Second Unit

I have the same concern, which is why I'm keeping my DVD collection small and mostly rent through Netflix.

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

4. Chuck Esola

Chuck Esola Extra

If the developers of HD-DVD have any sense they will make the players compatable with existing DVD software. Honestly, how many people do you think are going to willing to adopt an entirely new format so soon after buying into DVD? Marketing a player that can play existing DVDs will lessen the sting of having to immediately replace all the DVDs in your collection while the obvious higher quality of HD will still give consumers plenty of reason to pursue the upgrade, slowly and at their own pace.

Enjoy your DVDs. I doubt that they're going away anytime soon.

5. Michael St. Clair

My prediction for a studio-supported HD-DVD format is that it is 7 or more years away.
    Life is short.

6. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

I’ve only been collecting DVDs for about 2 years now so I have not yet experienced a case of DVD rot. I plan to continue purchasing DVDs until HD-DVDs are available.

Possibly never in our lives will we be able to purchase a movie in any format without there being lab versions or plans for a better media format. When HD-DVDs are available, there will be working lab models of SHD-DVD (or whatever the next step up will be called) with even more resolution. This improvement in technology may very well continue one step at a time until our descendants eventually have something resembling the Star Trek Holodeck.

If we were to put off purchasing one media format because the next media format is imminent then we would never purchase any format. I feel confident that the majority of the DVDs in our collections will be intact 20 years from now if we handle and store them properly.

Jay Taylor

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I'd say that it'll be more than a few years before HD-DVD... closer to 10 years, perhaps more.

9. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

10. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Why buy a PC when in less than a year there will be new ones twice as fast at half the cost?

Because you have to get in the game sometime. Enjoy what's here now and worry about later later.

A lot of people here sold a bunch of VHS tapes when they got into DVD -- there will always be people less eager to jump on the newest format. There should be a good market for your DVDs if HD-DVD comes out. But as others here have said, Hollywood has barely begun milking this cow yet. Don't expect HD-DVD anytime soon, for commercial, not technical, reasons.

11. Dave H

Dave H Producer

HD-DVD is years away and I agree that one shouldn't derprive himself now. When the time comes, and if you do it soon enough, you'll be able to sell all of your DVDs on E-Bay or somewhere else for a reasonable price anyway.

12. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

As with any software related hobby, you will always undoubtedly sell some software to upgrade to something better. I also agree that HD-DVD will be here at best 7 years from now, and more likely 10 years.

Their needs to be a massive amount of HDTV sets sold for HD-DVD to be a real viable option. The reason D-Theater (D-VHS) has begun is to simply supply the current "niche market" of 2 million U.S. HDTV owners with some amount of HD movies on some kind of format.

BTW, I have seen many people sell their entire DVD libraries online in just a few days. As others here have mentioned, their is usually someone who will buy it. FWIW, I have ~220 movies and I'm not going to stop adding titles to my collection.

13. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Until there is significant support and sales of HDTV, I do not see HD-DVD becoming available. Even when it does come (probably 5-10 years from now), that does not mean I will replace my entire DVD collection, or for that matter every film that was on DVD will get an HD-DVD release.

Ultimately I see my collection when HD-DVD comes around, to be a mesh of both old DVD and new HD-DVD titles.

J

14. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

D-VHS isn't enough to make me re-think my DVD purchases let alone HD-DVD which is quite a few years away. D-VHS is a linear tape format which I deplore. Random access with an optical reading system is best for longevity.

Patrick

15. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

16. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I agree with Michael. I think HD-DVD is 5-7 years away. But I do think it will be backward compatible with current DVD. This is why I don't think HD-VHS is going to take off -- DAT didn't, after all, even though it was better quality than CD.

17. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

18. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have been collecting DVD's since June 1997 and yet only have 58 so I am keeping the collection small for that reason.

19. CamiloCamacho

CamiloCamacho Stunt Coordinator

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve only been collecting DVDs for about 2 years now so I have not yet experienced a case of DVD rot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been collecting for almost five years, and I haven't either.

-----------------------------------------------------

I have seen a lot of this posts. I know a lot of you never see their dvd's two times, but i suggest you take a look at that Blade DVD.

I know two people (one in Colombia, one in US, Jersey) with the same problem in the disc. Go to the scene where blade blood star to fall, and see the next chapters.

As i have said before, this is real, and i expect my dvd's last more than 10 years, but DVD's stop playing after a year or two is unacceptable (i feel robbed).

20. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You will not see HD-DVD till at least 2010, enjoy current DVD, which looks great NOW, and then enjoy HD-DVD THEN.