Why buy an amp/what amp to get

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I have skimped through the heated discussions regarding the 3802 w/ amp vs 4802 w/o amp. But in any case will an amp improve sound quality in any case even if I have say the 5800 or 49tx? What amps would be a good place to start/good for the money? Besides outlaws. For HT purposes a 2 channel amp would be enough right? I understand that 5channel ones can get really expensive.

2. Howard_S

I am about to buy a new receiver. Is it a good idea to use my old receiver as an amp. Can I actually do that?

3. Rich G

Rich G Stunt Coordinator

I have found external amps to offer better sound than the internal amps in a receiver. There are many reasons for this which I won't go into now. I enjoy the benefit especially when listening to music.
    I would not use your old receiver for the main channels. Old receivers are supposed to be used for powering a pair of SVS CS' [​IMG]
    What is your budget?

4. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

For the bang vs. buck category I'd say look at Parasound (a tad on the warmer, liquidy side-- may be too warm or less detailed for some speakers), Sherbourn (they have well received balanced 200 watt monoblock amps too so you can add as many as you want), and ATI (I have an ATI AT1505 and it's built like a tank and very heavy).

Reading articles and experiencing them for myself I would say stay away from the Marantz monoblocks. Cheaper construction and a lesser fit 'n' finish look to them for the price they want you to pay.

Dan

5. Howard_S

So if I was to "go separates" what would I need? And what can I get for the price of say $3000US.

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Howard: what speakers are you using, or planning to use with this system?

7. Howard_S

I have Paradigms all around. Studio 60s as mains. CC450 and will be upgrading my sides to Studio ADPs. I want to buy the 49tx but it's a lot of money to spend on a receiver and I am just trying to find some last minute alternatives before I make my decision.