What's new

Why bother with buying SACD/DVD-A in stereo? (1 Viewer)

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Thats a problem with SACD,selection. DVD-A has them beat like a drum for better choices. I also really like DTS music.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, DVD-A has a greater "mass market" selection of titles, though overall title list is far less than SACD. Far more SACD are available, but for me, fewer titles that I am actually willing to fork over the sometimes high dollars for. I'm about 60/40 SACD/DVD-A (which may shift once I order my Depeche Mode SACDs :) )

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

True, but I don't have tons of classical. I listen to a wide variety of music. I'd guess my classical SACDs are a few more than a couple of dozen out of over 200. I probably have around 45 DVD-As and about 10 DADs. I won't consider DualDiscs and may spring for a couple of the Talking Heads imports of DVD-A + CD sets. I'll have several more DVD-As when the Doors stuff comes out hopefully in Sept.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
unfortunately, i didn't like their 1st few albums despite a few decent trax. i'm very picky =).

oh, i went to me local public library and found regular CD versions of Dire Strait's Bros. in Arms. it's very interesting sound. fairly unique. it's the type of music that i swear i would've never bought into (cause a grumpy old men listening to it, i kid i kid ;). but i really got into it. i've heard the entire album about 3 times now. it's got a very nice aural equality to it. definitely interested in getting the surround verisons now. i read on amazon.com that the SACD version is culled from the DVD-Audio version. so should i get the DVD-Audio version for Bros in Arms instead?

i also got porcupine tree. sorry. i listened to it for about 2x through and it just doesn't catch me. it's too "typical".

gonna check out steely dan's gaucho. =). thx guys. it's very interesting new music. i haven't gotten excited about these formats in a while =).

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

I don't think the SACD/DVD-A is culled from each other. However, and keep this in mind, the SACD was released first and is available everywhere on the planet except the US. Dire Straits is signed to Warner Music in the US, thus no SACD release here. When artists such as Dire Straits or Genesis announcement about hi-res releases, they always refer to the SACD version since this is the preferred format around the world.

BTW, Mark Knopfler also guested on Steely Dan's "Gaucho".

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Some of my favs,Don Henley DTS,Donald Fagen Nightfly,Kamakiriad and his newest Morph the Cat

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
typical (imho) is:
red hot chili peppers
pearl jam's latter works
godsmack
alice+chains
tool
stone temple pilots
etc.

typical means they're albums that i listen to once or twice, but i can't put it on contant replay ALL DAY LONG ALL THE TIME. i'd make me sick. most of my collections tend to be albums that i can stand ALL DAY LONG EVERY SINGLE TIME I LISTEN to it. =). i got tired of porc. just twice. i can't stand anymore.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
When you say "it's too typical," that implies that you consider it to be too mainstream. I don't think Porcupine tree fits that description at all. (Tool doesn't belong in that category, either.)

Thinking about what you meant, maybe "uninteresting" or "lacking replay value" would be a better term to use.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

To each their own. I can listen to Tool, RHCP, and Godsmack all day long :D I haven't gotten tired of Porcupine Tree so far, though I don't like all the tracks. STP and AIC I can listen to for short periods, then I won't listen to them for a few months again. There is really NO album that I actually sit and listen to all day. I need some variety and choose based on my mood, and it sort of ruins it for me to listen to the same thing over and over again.

Porcupine Tree and Tool are definitely not mainstream. Hardly "typical" in my book.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
no, what i meant by "typical" isn't just mainstream or indies, what i meant is that the style of music (rock, progressive rock) tends to be all bunched together and become rather bland after listening to it for the 10th time. i mean the guitars, bars, frets all start to sound like it's repeating. it's like greenday's dookie. i can only take it once or twice at a time. can't stand it TOO many times. "genre-fatigue"? nah. i've had my fav. soundtracks looped for days on end and i still love it after such a long and extended play. so as john g. said, to each his own.

so i guess aaron is right about replay value. all the CD/DVD's i own have to have a very high replayability value. otherwise i can rent DVD's from public library or netflix or local B&M store. and music i can hitch off of friends who have it, borrow their CD's/albums, library. haven't seen a "netflix" for cd's yet =). there'd be 2much piracy.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D

I knew that about DVD-A but DTS online still has 50 or so titles to choose from in DTS 5.1 music.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have much more popular music from the 60's and 70's on SACD with Bob Dylan, Elton John, and The Rolling Stones among others. The Moody Blues have several SACD releases as well. There were very few non-Silverline DVD-A releases of 60's and 70's music. Silverline mostly released titles from the agreement with Sanctuary but didn't receive multitrack tapes to be able to do much, therefore many of the Silverline DVD-A titles were very poor. Overall I have about twice as many SACD's and think the selection was far better.

Chris

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
We sure are on oppisite sides of the fence as to who has the better selection but i guess i'm talking more about multi-channel then 2ch and thats where SACD comes in more. Sure have to read the labels when you pick up a SACD.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI

What about the substantial number of albums mixed & mastered for Quad? There plenty of stuff out there which was mixed and mastered in 4 discrete channels and pressed on SQ, QS, or CD-4 vinyl. Those are the things which really cry out for a multichannel release, even just going back to the original 4-channel tape masters and dumping them to a digital format.

In this case very few people have ever even heard the recording as it was meant to be heard.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i've borrowed a lot of the rolling stone from the library, it's just stereo and no multichannel. i was so disappointed i didn't even listen to the music =(.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

"Sympathy for the Devil" is the only multichannel Rolling Stones SACD. I think all of the Elton John SACD releases are multichannel and 7 of the Bob Dylan SACD's are. The Elton John and Bob Dylan multichannel SACD's are very good.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks