Why BluePrint drivers are not as popular as Shiva's or Tempest's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Im playing right now with their 1201 driver. It goes down to an F3 of 21.88 in a 113L ported cabinet tuned to 20Hz. It cost only 91 bucks. This seems rather good. Good bass at low cost.

On the other hand I'm aware of the price of their 03 series, for example their 1503, which can do as well as a Tempest but using a smaller enclosure. So if cost is important a Tempest will go as low for much less (driver cost) and with less amplification (less amplifier cost also).

I feel this is why a Tempest is different, no "better or worst". But I can't understand the same about their 1201 against a Shiva.

Im still a newbie in all this matters, but can anyone explain to me why are this drivers not as popular as Adire ones?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Uh, try to buy one...

3. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Uh,
    That's a clever point.
    [​IMG]

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Plus wasn't the 1201 changed significantly recently (well specs at least, don't know if anyone has managed to get the current iteration or not). The new one looks respectable, but the original was far enough behind you'd want to spend the extra 30-50 on the Dayton or Shiva.

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    From what I understand of the BPD's, only the 03's can compare to (actually beat) the shiva/tempest but it will cost you an arm and leg to power it (needing about 1000W) and EQ it so it sounds right. It's just not as cost efficient.

6. Jon Hancock

Jon Hancock Stunt Coordinator

With loudspeaker drivers, including subwoofer drivers, you can get to a point of diminishing returns. I've built subs with Shiva's, Tempests, the Styke HE-15, and the Blueprint 1203. When you get into the very long throw woofers (around an inch Xmax one way), there are issues related to efficiency and the affects of voice coil inductance (which rolls off the output above 70 Hz in many cases) that you have to be prepared to work with, if you want the long throw advantages.
    For a lot of DIY users, a working Xmax of 12-16 mm will be more than sufficient for their listening needs. But for a few, the characteristics of the long throw drivers may be worth working with. The BPD 1203 will probably give you more output out of a very small box than almost any other 12" available- that's why I picked it for one project. The 1503 is very good also, and at about half the price of a Stryke HE-15, is not to be dismissed lightly.
    Different strokes for different folks. It's like cars, almost all of them will provide basic transportation (excepting a Yugo, for example [​IMG] ), but it's what you "want" that becomes the differentiator in regards to what you will spend.
    Regards,
    Jon

7. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Everyone who has listened both to my friend's 120-watt 12" Sony SA-WM40 and my 150-watt 10" Blueprint 1001 have said that my subwoofer is better than his, both in terms of quality and quantity. I want to keep my hearing good, so I'm not a real rock-n'-roller but I like my occasional loud music, and my 1st-generation 1001 (double stacked magnets, bumped back plate...aahhhhh) does the trick for me quite nicely. Never mind that I am only driving it with a 150w into 4ohm amp. If I were to have a nice 250-watt amplifier, then I could shake the walls down. My box is only made of plywood, because I wanted someting quick n' dirty with no waiting, so it's not the best it can be, but it can rattle the glasses in the downstairs cupboard if you feed it a 32Hz sinewave.

Different strokes for different folks, indeed.
    Just longer strokes for me. And for only $80 total when shipped, I think it was a good buy.

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer