Why aren't we seeing more music video compilations on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Strang, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I think people would buy them very quickly.

Also, KISS has very little on DVD. Has anyone heard of a possible release date for the Animalize concert on DVD? It was release on LD years ago.

2. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's what I was wondering too! [​IMG]
    Troy

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The answer seems to be rights issues. Everyone wants to either get too much money to sub-license video rights for compilations, or wants to hold back rights for their own artist-themed DVD's, or both in some cases.

I just don't understand why a studio doesn't at least drive comilation discs full of the one-hit wonders that will never have enough material for a disc of their own. For instance, the band "a-Ha" had maybe 2-3 videos I'd want to own. I won't buy an a-Ha-only DVD. So whoever owns those rights should put these videos on a compilation disc with other stuff that will appeal to me.

I'd buy it. Follow the money.

4. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

Expanding on the compilation idea, I think it would be far more interesting if, when the technology becomes affordable enough, some of the studios would put together sites where users could pick and choose music videos for custom-made DVDs.

5. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Another one who wants more music video DVD's here
    I also have to wonder why more music videos does not get released. I have a hard time believing they can get that much money for them. I mean I can understand profix maximisation a.s.o. but how much is it really possible to make?
    Also, I have to say how very refreshing it was for me to hear David Lambert refer to A-ha as a one hit wonder [​IMG]
    I am norwegian, like the band A-ha, and over the last 15 years or so we still keep hearing about how big A-ha was... the brain washing had pretty much started to take effect, and then I read something like that. Thank you David [​IMG]
    ...I still have the greatest hits DVD though :b
    ...and I like it :b

6. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I'd definitely be interested in any music video DVDs. I saw recently that MTV put out several DVDs, but I thought the music selection was a bit weak. Perhaps somebody like Rhino or Time-Life can put together Top 20 Music Videos on a per year basis, perhaps starting around 1982 or so and working their way up.

7. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I have a VHS with 40 music videos from the 80s, but the quality is muddy as anything. Anyway, I want to see Warner release a "Warner Bros. Records Salutes The 80s" DVD. I'll recommend that over at Studio Feedback right now.

Sincerely,

John "We do need a Warner rep on here, though" Kilduff

8. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Another vote for music video collections/compilations.

I also wondered why we didn't see more of these on VHS. I have video collections from the B-52s, Garbage, and They Might Be Giants that I would gladly buy DVD upgrades for.

The Green Day "International Supervideos" was a great addition to my collection. I also have a rare promo "R-TV" disc that Reprise records offered to purchasers of DVD players two or three years ago.

9. Scott Strang

I've got that Reprise disc that came with my Toshiba player. IT was pretty cool to have Roam by the B-52's on DVD.

I did buy a music video DVD from promoonly.com. They're meant for pro dj's. I bought one title and it had some good videos on it.

AC/DC You shook me all night long

Prince 1999

JAMes Brown Sex machine

I forgot the others.

10. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Count me in for music video DVDs!

Growing up with MTV from Day One, I'd really like some of the cutting edge music videos that defined my generation.

There used to be 8" LDs of music videos. I have Bon Jovi, Missing Persons, Madonna, J. Geils Band, and a 12" LD of "A-Ha" which was supposed to double as a CD!!! An interesting concept.

I was pretty disappointed with the MTV box set that was recently relesed. Too much new stuff, not enough vintage stuff.

Mike

11. Michael St. Clair

It's always this way...90% of back-catalog music releases never make it to new formats.

This is one reason that several of us have no interest in a wholesale ditching of our LD collections...we like our music titles, and in digital stereo to boot!

12. Scott Strang

Luckily I was able to get an 8" Swing Out Sister LD and a Dokken Unchain the Night LD from Ebay.

The Swing Out Sister I absolutely had to have. In fact I paid $27 for it. This one is "And Why Not?" and has digital 2 track audio. I already had a VHS hifi copy of Kolidescope World.

Basia is another I'd like to have. What we need are some SOS and Basia concerts on DVD. I'd buy 'em in a New York minute.

I've always liked SOS and not being able to get their material on DVD has pissed me off several times.

Does anyone have that Geffen Vintage 80's LD? I tried to order one from Lazertown and they were all gone.

13. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

Somebody please do whatever is necessary to get Faith No More's Who Cares a Lot video collection on dvd.
    Now please.[​IMG]

14. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Music videos are always in a gray area. Can someone answer this: Are music videos product, because of the music content or are they a form of marketing. At one time music videos were regarded as promotional films, and considered not a saleable item. If you ever look at promotional CD and LPs and even press kits with music videos on them, you will see them as 'not for sale'. Some artists retain the rights to all their videos, Prince is a prime example, and released most of his videos on DVD. Billy Joel is another one. It's up and down because some artists own their videos, some don't because they didn't pay to have it made, or they signed away any license rights. Others own the master, but can't be bothered with locating it for some record company to use in a various artist DVD. Some may have a lawyer who wants so much many for the rights to use it, the compiler may just say "thanks, but no thanks".

I would like to see alot of the early videos from 80's. They lack most of the polish of 90's videos and some were groundbreaking (like Take on me, Pressure, You might Think and Money for nothing).