What's new

Why aren't there more industry insiders, signed up for this Forum? (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I know there are notable members on this board who work in DVD production and film restoration. But they are notable for their singularity.

Given the number of diverse opinions on display, and the sheer girth of issues covered, I'm really surprised the whole DVD producing community isn't signed up, minig these pages for inspiration, or at the very least, in-depth research and feedback.

So why aren't there more?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You don't have to sign up to read the forum. I'm sure it is being used for research and feedback -- just not by people whose presence you're aware of.
M.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
There are plenty of industry insiders who lurk around here. They are just not public about it.

- Steve

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Even more baffling to me is the absence of hardware insiders, beside the startup internet shops (SVS, etc...), especially in electronics: There are many audiophile myths out there, and I for one would like to see a post from someone who actually knows what they are talking about ;)
-
Holadem

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Maybe they see how some of the 'public' insiders have been, on occasion, flamed to a charred, smoking crisp by over-zealous members, and wish to avoid that fate.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
While it is absolutely true that there are many industry "insiders" who browse the boards- and quite a few who are members-- one thing I've learned in dealing with some "industry" figures is that many don't give a poo.

Many of the people involved in the "business" have little desire to talk film history or even DVD technology with the little people. I'm often surprised at how out of touch many "industry" people are in terms of technology, customer base and concepts. I would argue 1/2 the HTF knows more about their customers than they do.

-V

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
The simplest and most disappointing answer to your question might be that many "insiders" couldn't give a rip about wasting their free time and talking about "work". They have hobbies and lives outside of "being in the industry", and wouldn't necessarily enjoy talking about their day jobs. The DVD industry has its share of people who are passionate about the technology and movies, as well as people who couldn't care less and would be just as happy picking lettuce or flipping burgers.

For those who are passionate about DVD and work in the industry, what would be gained by "going public"? Much can be learned from lurking. I also imagine larger studios would frown on any employees posting anything once it's known who they work for. Even with a "this is my opinion and not my employer's" disclaimer, it would be hard to seperate a poster from his job, and legal/ marketing departments might get a little skittish.

Other than Peter and Martin, who have enough power in their respective departments, I doubt any employee would be allowed to post in association with their employment.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Another thing to consider why industry people lurk is that most likely, they are not high-ranking CEOs and the like. So inevitably, when their company makes a misstep, guess who's getting called out here in the HTF?

If I worked for a studio (and I don't) but wasn't in a major decision-making capacity, I sure as heck wouldn't admit to it here (esp. if it were [currently] Warner, Columbia or Disney - with all those P&S releases coming out the fit is really going to hit the shan).

Rob FM

Second Unit
Real Name
R
They're here, but don't think for a minute they'd use their real names on a forum like this...they would get pestered every minute for "this release", "that extra", why "this decision" was made...etc.
~Rob

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
These people know that once they make their presence known here they will be barraged with emails. Imagine if someone from Sony R&D posted here how much email they'd get with suggestions and questions about gear. Ugh! Some of the smaller shops have a presence here such as SVS. I'm very happy that Jeff Hipps from Sherwood posts here as I have Sherwood Newcastle separates and it's nice to be able to address him. But S/N is no Sony! :)
However, the industry is listening definitely.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Hey! I replaced my old Sony amp with a Sherwood, and didn't regret it for a moment!
(I know what you mean though) :)

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
They have hobbies and lives outside of "being in the industry", and wouldn't necessarily enjoy talking about their day jobs
Probably true. I work in Finance and there's no way in hell I'd go home at night and logon to financeforum.com (If it even exists!) to discuss Income Summaries, Financial database software, etc. I read the HTF because it's so NOT about work. I also like reading it to see Phil Hamm's biting retorts! :D

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
They're here, but don't think for a minute they'd use their real names on a forum like this...they would get pestered every minute for "this release", "that extra", why "this decision" was made...etc.
Their company might also have a policy that could get them fired for "representing" or being recognized as a "spokesperson" for the company even if they were expressing their own opinion.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Hey, I am convinced that this is the best possible place for me to learn more about my industry and my marketplace!
My background is less technical and more marketing, but I have learned all about technical stuff here on these forums, from some of the nicest, most interesting people I've ever e-met.
I have no problem "wasting" work-day-time here (just don't tell Matt), and whenever I see an issue being dealt with here, on any of the forums, I usually print it out and show it around in the office. I'm sure that other industry folks do the same -- I just don't mind being public about it, which is one of the hallmarks of my company and its interaction with customers.
I've gotten emails offline from people who've seen my sig address, and I have been happy to help them find answers or get information.
One of the things I am always careful about is a] talking about real technical stuff that I may not know enough about and b] "selling" my company here. That may stop some industry people from being more obvious here. I never get into threads where my company is being criticized or compared or even lauded. It just wouldn't be fair. (I do read them, tho!)
Vince is on the money when he says, "Many of the people involved in the 'business' have little desire to talk film history or even DVD technology with the little people." I, because I'm not an engineer or technical audio expert, actually love doing this, but there are people here in this office who often do express this notion. Vince also says, "I'm often surprised at how out of touch many 'industry' people are in terms of technology, customer base and concepts. I would argue 1/2 the HTF knows more about their customers than they do." And this, Vince, is 100% TRUE.
Which is why the HTF is such a great, interesting and fun "resource." ("What are you doing in your office all day?" "Research!") ;)
Micah

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks