Why aren't my 1.66:1 pillarboxed on my 16:9 set? PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jake Johnson, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

I have a JVC XV-N40 player, and a Toshiba TW40X81 set. How do I get my 1.66:1 dvds to play correctly? Is this due to overscanning? Please help. Fiend Without a Face fills the whole screen, and this doesn't seem right to me.

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I think you are right that it is an overscan issue, although, IIRC, 1.66 stuff has some quirks about it. If you search here or in the Films/Documentaries area, I there has been some discussion on the matter.

My Pioneer 533 does not show any pillar box bars or letter box bars for 1.66 or 1.85 content, although strictly speaking, it should. I see letter box bars on content that it wider than 1.85, and obviously, I see pillar box bars for 1.33 material.

Personally, I am willing to live with that, but I do accept that it is not correct.

BGL

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yes its overscan. TVs are normally set at the factory for 5% overscan on each side and the bars on a 1.66:1 AR title would only be visible with under 3% overscan.

4. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Is there any way to fix this? The picture doesn't appear to be stretched by any means. but it tickles at the back of my head. It's the speck of dust on my otherwise lovely set-up. except for the cheapie dvd player.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Jake,

In order to releive that tickle you need to get into the service menu for the tv and redo the geometry and convergence using a convergence grid taped over the screen surface, a very long drawn out and tedious process with a very high potential for ruining an otherwise perfect picture that probably should only be attempted by a professional ISF calibrator.