What's new

Why aren't Eddie M, Steve M, Robin W. funny anymore? (1 Viewer)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy

Uhh, Robin rehearsed that show for several months, touring across the counrty, before the HBO filming in New York. Robin scripts almost everything in his standup, working with people to hone it.

What he is great at is making it look spontaneous and improvised.

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
I think it a reflection of just how people change as they get older. You know how when your friends have a kid they can no longer do the things they would like to? Well, I think comedians that once "had it" and now don't is just a different expression of the same phenomenon. They don't want to do the type of comedy that may be a bad example to their kids.

Or it may be the cocaine thing...

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Steve Martin is my favorite comedian. The last comedy I really enjoyed of his was Housesitter. I did enjoy his much darker roles in Spanish Prisoner and Novacaine. I don't expect him to go back in time and redo the gags and characters that we all loved so much, but I do wish that he would stop making these awful comedy's (St. Bilko, Bowfinger, cheaper by the dozen, out of towners, bringin down the house). I will say that I am looking forward to seeing him in Shopgirl.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding Robin Williams, it's interesting because I have really enjoyed his film work in non-comedies. And I think his standup act is absolutely hilarious. But for some reason his comedy movies really suck lately.

*scratches head*

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
What Scott said (and a little of what Vince and Lou both said too).

Hell, just watch Trainspotting and it is all clearly explained (the "had it and lost it" thing). :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Well, Eddie Murphy's brother is doing well with Chappelle, and apparently will be appearing in his "Rick James" movie.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
That image that Scott posted does not inspire confidence for the new Pink Panther, and I LOVE Steve Martin's work...but trying to remake an iconic Peter Sellers character like that is..comedic suicide if you ask me. (just one guy who likens that to some schmo, yes even an extremely talented schmo, attempting a remake of "Austin Powers" in 25 years). :thumbsdown:

-Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks