What's new

Why Aren't All DVD's Have A Transfer As Good As The Fifth Element? (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
The Fifth Element was released fairly early in the development of DVD. Yet, IMO, it remains the reference DVD for Video quality (excluding animated movies like Toy Story and A Bugs Life).
Dont get me wrong, I know there are some other good transfers out there, but the vast majority really don't seem to come close to The Fifth Element.
Why is this? I understand the Fifth Element used a High Definition transfer. How much difference does this make, and what does it cost the studio as compared to a non high def transfer?
It just seems that as DVD technology has progressed, more of the current DVD's would approach the quality shown by this early release.
Your opinions?
P.S. Sorry about the Butchered language in the heading, I couldn't edit it!
blush.gif

[Edited last by Rob Tomlin on August 21, 2001 at 09:45 PM]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: I understand the Fifth Element used a High Definition transfer. [/quote] So do all (or nearly all) Columbia Tristar discs. In fact, most of them are mastered at the same facility. Almost all Paramount, Fox and New Line discs (and probably others) are also from hi-def masters.
Don't confuse transfer quality with the overall look of the film. Not every film looks like The Fifth Element. Not every DVD will either. Quality of source materials and the look of the original photography have at least as much influence on the final product as the transfer process.
And BTW, I happen to think the platinum edition of Se7en is a better transfer. Se7en had an unfair advantage, though, since they took it from the original camera negative.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 21, 2001 at 10:54 PM]
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 22, 2001 at 07:54 AM]

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Fifth Element has a good transfer. At that time, I found it great. But with titles like Blade, Austin Powers 2, The Cell, X-Men, those tranfers are a bit superior looking in my book.
But remember, with now the Superbit Fifth Element, that is going to change. :)

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
i THINK THE way the movie is filmed has a lot more to do with it. The colors the director uses etc. If the movie has more solid brighter colors which 5th element has, then it will appear more beautiful, rich and look better.
------------------
Ruben Zamora
Onkyo TX-575X
Pioneer DV-333

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Most films dont look as good because studios like to toy with us....
rolleyes.gif

kidding...anyways, it does boil down to film elements and how the film looks. I think Star Wars will probably be one gorgeous DVD when released in two months, as it has a very wide array of hues to work with, and also Lucas really doesnt want to dissapoint anyone with it.
------------------
card11.jpg

Mike Mallory

Agent
In the beginning... (1997) DVD's were loosed upon the earth. The studios took special care to make sure those early releases looked better than there LD brethren. Now, as more and more DVD releases hit the streets, less and less care is taken. Only the newest movies have any quality control. Any old movie being released on DVD is suspect. But this is nothing new. Once the VHS market took off, it was quickly swamped with crap.
- Mike

Mike Mallory

Agent
No, it isn't a joke. The color continuity on "Enemy at the Gates", for instance, is a joke. And this is a new film. Don't get me started on releases of older films.
- Mike

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Mystery Men DVD was supposed to have a pristine picture and it's not an old title, but it didn't receive it. :d:

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Boy, and I thought The Fifth Element had a top notch transfer, now they're going to release it as a SuperBit DVD? I have to check that one out...
------------------
F

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Why don't all DVD's have a transfer like The 5th Element?
Because not all movies look like The 5th Element.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Fifth Element has quite a bit of edge enhancement according to the "edge enhancement guru's". I'm quite surprised they show up in this discussion. I do notice some on my friends FPTV and it can be distracting at times.

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
assuming studios do the best they can with dvd mastering is an utopia and people believing they do are just plain dumb naive.
as the market grows exponentially, look for more sloppy work.
even NEW LINE is losing its edge, compared to its own previous releases.
some are improving, some continue to have a dual approach: quick catalog releases without much work (Paramount, MGM) while taking great care of some huge movies (MGM/hannibal).
be selective and voice your concerns on forums.
remember: we buy those stuffs, so ask for the best.
among stunning transfers:
RULES OF ENGAGEMENT
MI2
THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS
ZORRO
VERTICAL LIMIT
BLADE
RUSH HOUR
SET IF OFF
VIRUS
GLADIATOR
THE CELL
BONE COLLECTOR ( tough job )
SEVEN SE
BATS
8MM

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think Independence Day is up there, but it does look a tiny bit soft at times. However, the colors are wonderful.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Fifth Element is still one fo the best looking transfers out there (I fail to see what The Wizard Of Oz has to do with anything in response to second post). I am still amazed how good it looks considering the length of the movie, the bitrate used, and the fact that it is on a single layer. The superbit dvd should look amazing indeed then.
By the way, I have seen indication of T5E coming Oct 9th but no indication of Air Force One. Is that one still due that time?
orangeman
------------------
Neil's H.T. Site
(plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks